• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dudedbz1

Managed C++ and Unmanaged C++

This topic is 4638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering.... Whats managed and unmanaged C++ code? I keep hearing people talk about unmanaged, managed, managed, unmanaged... When I write C++ I just write C++. So say... what type is this:
#ifdef __cplusplus
#include <iostream>
#endif

#ifndef __cplusplus
#inlcude <stdio.h>
#endif

int main()
{
    #ifdef __cplusplus
    cout<<"Hi.";
    #endif

#ifndef __cplusplus
    printf("Hi.");
    #endif

return 0;
}
__cplusplus is just defined into my libraries, so I just wanted to try it... not that I use it. Thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I was too embarrassed to ask this myself, but I would also like to know... As Mr. Garrison says, "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

Managed C++ is a dialect of C++ introduced by Microsoft to use C++ in the .NET environment that you can use if you program with MSVC .NET 2002 or MSVC .NET 2003. Managed C++ will be more or less replaced by C++/CLI, which will be available in the upcoming MSVC .NET 2005 release this November.

Unmanged C++ is basically normal C++.

Unmanged C++ is basically standard c++. its available on any platform with a c++ compiler. Managed C++ is C++ with the use of the .NET library, you need a microsoft compiler to write it, and it only works on windows.

Assemblies compiled for use with the .NET framework will be managed code. However, .NET assemblies can interoperate with unmanaged code. For example, you can access normal DLLs or ActiveX/COM objects from managed code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!