Setting up VC++ to use DirectX -- first time?

Started by
5 comments, last by Mushu 18 years, 6 months ago
I haven't done any code work since sample problems years ago, and that was only console applications. I've picked up a few books on Direct3D/DirectX programming, but whenever I try to get MS Visual C++ set up to use the libraries, something goes wrong. For the life of me, I can't get a single thing to compile properly, not even pre-made examples (with workspaces) from the books! Starting to get really frustrated, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully before I wind up throwing my computer out my third-floor window. ^_^;; --Typhin, who's getting a bit discouraged.
Advertisement
1. Do you have the Directx SDK installed on your computer?
2. Did you link your VC++ to the lib and headers directory of DX SDK

For the #2. After you install DX SDK you have to link your IDE to the directories of DX. Else it will never find the required files.

Are you using VC++ 6.0 or > .net 2002?
Heh, right, should've posted more info. ^_^;; Lesse...

I'm using 6.0. I've got the SDK installed, and I'm fairly certain I've got it linked to the directories.

Under Tools > Options > Directories, I've got the Include and Lib directories listed. If there's something else I'm supposed to do, I don't know what it is.

What I'm really hoping to be able to do is set up a basic framework that will already have all these set-up steps done, because I can't seem to figure out the seemingly billions of things I'm supposed to already know. ~_~

--Typhin, who feels like a Grade-A idiot whenever trying to get anything done.
6.0 doesn't work with modern libraries. The last DirectX SDK you can use is sometime last year -- October 2004, I think. Also, the DirectX libraries that 6.0 shipped with are really ancient.

The general advice in your situation is to get with the program, and update to a modern compiler. 6.0 is 7 years old. There's a free download where you can download the compiler and linker (but not debugger or IDE) of Visual Studio .NET 2003 from the Microsoft site. You can either call them out of your current 6.0 IDE with some mucking, or use a third-party project builder (Eclipse has something for this, for example).

There's also the really affordable Express Edition, which come with the IDE/Debugger.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well, at least now I don't feel quite so stupid. Unfortunately, I don't really have any money at the moment. Any tips on where to look for good third party IDEs? I've never heard of Eclipse, and haven't really been looking since I figured I already had VC6.

--Typhin, who was really looking forward to getting stuff started tonight, too.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/index.shtml

Take a look ^^
You can also get the 2005 Beta 2 IDE/compiler for free. Its pretty good, but the first thing you'll notice is there is no easy way to specifiy include/lib directories. So if you don't mind dumping all your SDKs into the default directories, then you're all set ^^

(there is a way to add them, but I'm a lazy butt, and dumping it was sooo much easier. Its never going to uninstall right though, lol!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement