• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderMusic_80

Where do I start? and then go on with...?

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm very new to game development, even if I've visited the forums a few times, I don't know exactly where to start to get things right. I want to make a game, not something big, just something like a trivial pursuit or monopoly, just to get the basics. The thing is, I don't know where to start. The models are quite easy : the board, the tokens and everything. But When I have all the models and textures, what's with the code? I thought I should start with the game logic, I should be able to play all the game using the console, then after go with the graphics. Is it the good way to start or it will require too many changes afterward? I will program in C++ as I am pretty used to it (after some years). The thing is, I don't know much about how I should integrate the graphics in all this. As example, for my token, it should move on the board. In my console version I could make it move from one place to the other without caring for the animation in between. In the graphical version, I must care about the animation, so should I just inherit the Token class to add the animation? but where do I put my model for the token? should it be a property of the class Token or should the Token class call some methods and properties on another class (like, TokenModel)? As I said, I'm very new to all this, so I'd appréciate some good advices. Thanks ThunderMusic_80

Advertisement
ok, I just read all this, but it doesn't tell me if the approach I just described is good or bad. I can sure do all those games (tetris, breakout, pacman and mario bros.), but will I do it the right way, I don't know. I've been programming for over 15 years, so for the loops and all management, there is no problem. The thing is, am I doing it the right way so it is efficient and falls into the "standarts"? Everything can be done a million ways in computer technology, but all those ways are not necessarly the good way.

Ok, so I'll ask the question differently. In my class design, should I or should I not include the model informations into each instance of my class Token (I'll stay with the same example)? Should I reference it from my instance to an instance of let's say TokenModel? what is the standart way of doing it in the game industry?

thanks

Given your programming experience, you probably shouldn't pose your question as if you are a complete newbie. If you're interested in the basics, Tetris etc should do it for you - enough to at least get you acquainted with the kinds of issues that game programming deals with. You can move on to industry standards later. As far as your restated question goes, my advice is to start a new thread with a title like "Model Information and Class Design" to attract the attention of more knowledgeable members.

Don't worry about making the game "the right way" There's no "right way" to make a game. There's many approaches to the same problem. So, experiment and find your talents.

Although there is good programming practices that you're encouraged to follow. It's there to make your life easier, but this kind of questions -
Should I use int Board[3][3] or int Board[9] for tic tac toe board -

Both ways work, don't sweat it. Figure out which one you're more comfortable with.

It's good idea to put board/map into one class, player in another class, etc to keep it all organized and readable.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!