• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Starting out

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to learn how to make multiplayer games over a network using C++, I don't know where to start. I'm getting a free book of my choice and I was hoping if someone could give me a few pointers on wich book to get. I am good with C++ but not fluent. Any suggestions are greatly appretiated.

Advertisement
When I'm looking for a new book I normally look around on Amazon.com - never get anything under 4 stars without first looking into it more, and always always read through all the comments with a grain of salt.

I'd also dissuade you from getting a game programming book on networking, but rather to get a normal one. This is because there is so much other stuff going on in a game that it'll naturally distract from learning the network code (which, imo, is more important). But then again, with a game programming book you can get a better feel for how it gets integrated into a game.

Here's a nice list of Game-Related Multiplayer and Networking books, with some ratings (which tend to consist of very few reviews, so don't trust them).

Hope you find the book that fits the need! :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement