• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
quagmire

My first game. Development starts soon.

This topic is 4635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My first game is gonna be Pong. Here is some info I am gonna tell ya about it. Language: C++ Graphics:Simple SDL Expected: v 0.5 possibly November Score to win: First one to 5 There is some about it.

Advertisement
Can you tell me where you learned to begin programming and whatnot in order to make this game? I'm curious where I can start, and the For Beginners section wasn't to helpful when it comes to the empty mind that I have.

Quote:
Original post by Virii
Can you tell me where you learned to begin programming and whatnot in order to make this game? I'm curious where I can start, and the For Beginners section wasn't to helpful when it comes to the empty mind that I have.

Well, you can learn C++, if you like, but that isn't usually recommended as a beginner's language. Two languages I think are very beginner friendly are Python and FreeBASIC. Both are pretty good choices for beginners (FreeBASIC is very similar to C, and you can learn the same APIs that you might use for C++, and Python's style of programming is a bit closer to C++ but it doesn't really support as many APIs as FreeBASIC does), both simple and easy to learn, and both are moderately fast (FreeBASIC falls just short of C++). My advice: learn one of or both of those languages, then move on to C++.

If you want to jump in the deep end and learn C++ right off the bat, you can get tutorials here and a compiler here.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!