• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

VB database question?

This topic is 4515 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all I am trying to use my first database in a program that tracks the number of fish caught on a given day by two fisherman. I am to populate a database using a random number generator. the database will need three feilds 1. the day 1-365 2. Joes' fish 3. Jims' fish ... on to the question. I am using VB in the Visualstudio.net 2003 MDE After creating an OleDb dataAdapter, dataConnection, and DataSet I hope to next configure the adapter using the wizard. Step one is which connection do I wish to use ... create a new one. Next step is datalink properties provider which i choose microsoft Jet 4.0 Ole DB provider. Now here is where I get stuck Connection tab name the Databas. I do not have acess so and it only wants .mdb file extensions. I have Works but i m kind of swimming as to what to do next so I can create this connection. Any ideas would be awesome.

Advertisement
Hi

I only really use vb6 but what is it you are trying to connect to? is it an access database? do you have that database? or maybe you are meant to create this db for yourslef and dont have access? let me know, i can create you the database and then you can connect to it

good luck

You will need an ole compliant database, Access is just one of these, there are others which are free (eg, MySql). Either this or you could use XML as your datastore (which is free as you create it yourself) although this may require some more study. I suggest learning XML as .net uses it almost everywhere (in fact, it even uses it in the background to transfer data from Access to your application and microsoft are using it as their next save format instead of .doc etc).

Also, it is asking for an MDB file because you have selected JET, which is the database engine behind access.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement