tips for making a text-based mmorpg

Started by
4 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, Im busy learning PHP and MySQL and i would like to make a text-based, browser-based MMORPG. (yes, a bit like kings of chaos).BTW im not the average newbie trying to make a game with thousands of users. I just want to have a go at making one myself. Any tips, suggestions? i would like to make it using php. I would also like to know how i can calculate rankings etc, some formulas or something like that. Im going to use MySQL to record user stats but i dont know how to sort it all out. thanks alex
Advertisement
A text based "mmorpg" is typically called a MUD. If you do some searches, you can find and download the source code for many old and established code bases like rom, diku, etc. I believe theres a PythonMUD out there as well.

If you have basic programming and networking down, then that is where I would start.
okay, thanks...
Are there any MUDs made with php? Cuz php is really the way i want to go.
Are MUDs browser based? It doesnt matter if it isnt, but will it help me with making browser based games? thanks
Theres nothing to stop you making it browser based but I think most people prefer to play mud-style games with their own client like zmud or tintin or whatever so you might attract less players if you go that way.

RuneScape is browser based (Java Applet), but its community is huge
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by bigfooot
okay, thanks...
Are there any MUDs made with php? Cuz php is really the way i want to go.
Are MUDs browser based? It doesnt matter if it isnt, but will it help me with making browser based games? thanks

Generally, a MUD is a game played interactively over a telnet session (i.e. something analogous to a text adventure). This is different to most of the PHP browser-based games.

If you were to make a PHP browser-based game I would highly recommend reading up on MySQL performance issues.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement