• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Loading hierarchial mesh **IN D3D8.1**

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My engine is built on DX8.1, and I cannot currently spare the time to change this - so please don't suggest this obvious solution... I want to load .X files and get the frame information, so I can change the transforms for each frame of the model. Just using the D3DXLoadMesh function gives me a list of subsets but this isn't the same thing. I know D3DX9 has a LoadMeshHierarchy function and I think it's this functionality I want to achieve. I've seen a couple of tuts on getting animation and boned stuff working with D3D, but I don't want those complications. I just want to load a .X file so I have a hierarchy of frames, and transform the individual mesh sections, and render the mesh. Any pointers, links etc - on a tight schedule here so preferably looking for a tut with code I can base this on. Thanks.

Advertisement
I can't remember, but I think the Andre LaMothe(sp?) series of books has one, written by Jim Adams, called something like Animation in DirectX. I'm pretty sure it's DX 8, and he goes through explanations of the X file template logic and how to load bits and parts, including frames. Or, you could delve into the MS SDK examples, just ignoring the parts you don't need.

Don't have time (needs doing for 4E4) or money to get a book. I looked at the D3D .X animation sample and while I'm sure it contains everything I need, there's about 20 pages when printed out which is a lot of work to figure out.

Unless I can use that sample on a non-animated mesh and still modify the frame transforms directly?
Otherwise has anyone got a loader for .X hierarchies in DX8 (or less) or know a good online resource?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement