• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fathom88

OpenGL Overlay Planes Question

This topic is 4694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I tested some code from a SIGGRAPH tutorial to try overlay planes. To my surprise, the application window came up blank because my video card does not seem to support overlay planes. The wglDescribeLayerPlane function couldn't find a pixel format with the LPD_SUPPORT_OPENGL flag. I'm currently running a GeForce Go 6200. Is overlay plane support not common with modern video cards? I found a Quadro that supports it. How can I achieve the same effect without overlay planes? I had hoped to use the wglSwapLayerBuffers function to draw an in-expensive rubber band selection box without having to re-draw my expensive background. I thought about using glEnable(GL_COLOR_LOGIC_OP) and glLogicOp(GL_XOR), but would I still have to re-draw everything when I swap buffers? Thanks.

Advertisement
I don't know what those overlay planes are, but if re-rendering background is really so expensive as you say, then you could just use glCopyPixels to copy pixels that could be touched by "rubber band selection box" before rendering it, and when it's not needed, use glWritePixels to copy old pixels to that part of screen.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!