Where are we heading?

Started by
24 comments, last by iooirrr 18 years, 6 months ago
We're headed towards Hollywood.

Mostly big studios mostly making big films that are mostly the same, with the occasional Clerks or March of the Penguins or Evil Dead thrown in there.
Advertisement
Dude, pick up a camera and try making Constantine or Resident Evil 12 (or whatever they're up to now). Sure, you can get the meaning across but you can't get the look, effects or... well, I was gonna mention acting but...

Think of your computer the same way. Just get the meaning across and be happy with it. We've crossed the threshold where big biz becomes seperate from the independent and the days of the garage developer are over. Still, SOME people watch independent films and SOME people play independent games. Target those people that play indie games and work your way up. Using imagination, some indie developers have done some interesting things.

Quote:Original post by johnhattan
One day I decided to learn how to build houses. Then I saw the Taj Mahal and realized that I could never make something that elaborate. So I gave up.

rating++
(Sometimes fewer words are best)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
coderx75 hit the nail on the head (read his post again if you need to ;-)

I think something needs to be cleared up about making money from the simple 2D casual games that websites such as Dexterity.com write misleading articles about.

This is ending...seriously, the bored middle aged housewifes are not buying these games as much as Dexterity.com would have you believe.

I'm an Indie Dev (on and of since the 80's) have worked/produced many commercial products/software/games, the market is over saturated, and in my last product (which has been selling for six months now...i have had two sales only...which ammounts to 45 UK pounds).

Marketing is something i have been very good at since the 80's...these last two years hasn't made a difference.

coderx75, has hit it right on the spot (sorry to be so dissapointing)..you will never (as one single person/developer be able to produce anthing even remotely close to the big $$$ companies)... as he wrote the game industry has become like hollywood (iv'e also worked on/off in the music industry...which is pretty much the same...i.e ITS HARD as a songwriter/musician to become a pop star(as the dream starts out...you mostly end up working doing backing tracks for another/bigger larger comapany).

The Indie developer is dead (much like the adventure genre is)..except this and either get a job in a team (i.e working for Epic or other game comapny) or do what you do for fun only...i honestly think there is no money to be made anymore for the bedroom coder/indie.

Think about it..why would someone pay even $20 for your game when (most) can download better commercial games from peer-to-peer for nothing??

I said this in a post a while ago (about the Cyan developers going under)...

The bedroom coder/indie dev is almost dead, and i predict within a year or two sites like this one gamedev.net will fade like will all of the indie tools/engines such as torque/Blitz/DarkBasic/Insert-game tool here...lol

because once people realise they cannot make money..i.e developing games = FUN ONLY no $$$...they won't bother spending all their time trying...

I'm sorry if this puts off a lot of newbie dev's here, but its the truth ;-)

It all depends on what your ambitions are. If you're wondering where you're going with programming (no offense) but you might as well quit now.

For me, my goals are to be able to create someone like DOOM3 someday, no matter how long it takes.

Granted, I realize that working for a game company would totally suck (unless I owned it) because you get shafted with the workload and don't make what you deserve (at least 200k for the time/effort/skill needed).

That's one reason I won't do programming in college as a major (I'm 17 now by the way). I don't want to end up as another Microsoft Word programmer, nor do I want to work for some gaming company that will use me like slave labor.

If I did anything, it'd have to be on my own.

Which brings me to my next point. I'm going to base my life off of something else (engineering and business), and do my hardest to make as much money possible, as soon as possible.

That way, when I'm 30 and rolling in the moolah, I can do whatever the hell I want for the rest of my life, and not have to worry about working ever again.

I think the problem today is that people only REALLY get good at games programming when they're out of college and realize that they have to maintain their lives by "working". Game development is hard when it's not your full time job, and you probably won't make anything even close to DOOM3 unless you're spending 40+ hours a week on it for a really long time.

so do what you want. My personal goal is to make a MMORPG someday. Granted, they're hard as fuck to make, but I know what I have to do to get that done.

So, let me re-iterate, when I'm 30 years old and have 650 million dollars in the bank, I can spend the rest of my life living the dream. But as for the gaming industry... screw them. They don't deserve to abuse people anymore, and I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck making games for some other guys pleasure.
We've missed the boat fellas, but there's nothing we could do about it. The gaming industry will soon become a monopoly.

~Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
2 Words: Alien Hominid :)
luke88
I don't know where I am going.

I just realized that I must do something by myself not long ago. I'm not leaving the company, not abandon these shit work for I need to learn, need money and I image oneday I can make game independent.

Country is different, the experiences is different.
The big company spawn their studio everywhere out of their country because there are more cheapness, dreamy programmer like me and my co-worker.
So don't worry to be a slave in big company. There are many people doing that.

If you have some chance to pick up your favorite, why stop?
I don't like that you love game programming but you give up for you know you can't be a greatest game programmer.How did you know that? Why not try this all of your life? what else is worth for that? what's your real aim?

I must be a game programmer no matter where I am, what the condition is, even sometime I can't remember I have the dream.

I hope there is no change for this in the futhure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement