How have 3D graphics changed since Quake?

Started by
45 comments, last by Barn Door 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by furby100
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:Original post by assen
Colors other than brown?

Black is not a color.

Yes it is. Before I can explain why, you tell my why you think it isn't.

It was supposed to be a joke. I mean, why should I be the only one in the world that can't say that Doom 3 is too dark ? [crying]

And, technically speaking, black is an total lack of light. Every color in the universe is black when you don't light it at all. You may see it as a degenerated color if you want, and you may express it as RGB(0,0,0) in the CG field but it doesn't change teh fact that black is not a color. Unless you are able to show me the black color on a color spectrum, I'll have to continue to think that this statement is true.

And that it was a joke. Do I have to always put a [wink] to tell everyone I'm joking? Maybe it's time for me to retire. I mean, if I can't give you a laugh, then I'm probably too old. Or something like that. Now that I think to it, I feel cold and old. My eyes are slowly closing and... and... Well, it's all black.

Did I said that black was not a color?

(edit: I just read the others posts and I saw a post from Barn Door right before mine. I now understand better the problem with my answer: if you feel it was targeted to yours, then no, and I'm sorry it was not clear. I guess I didn't read the whole thread before answering. Again, sorry).
Advertisement
Well Emmanuel, your last post certainly got a chuckle out of me. So how old are you?
Quote:Original post by Barn Door
Hi,

I've been playing Doom 3 and it occurrs to me that graphics aren't fundametally different than they were in the mid 90s.

So what has changed?

- More polygons
- Higher resolution textures
- Real time lighting and shadows
- Bump mapping

Is there anything else?

Cheers, BD

The 'fundementals' of graphics haven't changed since the mid 1980s. Bump mapping's been around for almost 30 years (1977). Having said that, about the only relationship between a sophisiticated modern game and Quake is that they are both rasterization based.

You are in danger of seriously trivializing what the state of the art of graphics is today. For a AAA title, you had better understand what PRT is, HDR, get used to Non-Linear optimzation, signal processing, microfacet theory, sampling, etc. The list goes on and on.

EvilDecl81
Quote:Original post by Barn Door
Hi,

I've been playing Doom 3 and it occurrs to me that graphics aren't fundametally different than they were in the mid 90s.

So what has changed?

- More polygons
- Higher resolution textures
- Real time lighting and shadows
- Bump mapping

Is there anything else?

Cheers, BD

When you look at your answers, you could think that almost nothing has changed. But the visual appearance has a lot to do with animation and physics. So often realism (in dynamic scenes) can be reached with good physics and reasonable animations, so the graphics seem automatically better...
The problem of Object Oriented Programming:Everybody tells you how to use his classes, but nobody how not to do it !
I think that the most radical differences since Doom was that after it, every programmer made their engine using a set amount of commands made by Microsoft or whoever makes OpenGL. Now that's a radical difference!
_______________________Afr0Games
Quote:Original post by Afr0m@n
I think that the most radical differences since Doom was that after it, every programmer made their engine using a set amount of commands made by Microsoft or whoever makes OpenGL. Now that's a radical difference!

You mean they made their engines based around the aspects of 3D rendering that were accelerated by hardware, determined by the graphics tech vendors and exposed through a number of 3D APIs?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by Afr0m@n

You mean they made their engines based around the aspects of 3D rendering that were accelerated by hardware, determined by the graphics tech vendors and exposed through a number of 3D APIs?

... and then their engine might be used by other companies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement