• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Question

This topic is 4514 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I,v made a 2D object array in one of my class. I define it in my .h CTiles *oMapMatrix; and when i read the size of the Array i "try" to initialise it. oMapMatrix = new CTiles[iLigne][iColonne]; But that doens't work. Why?

Advertisement
You only specified a single layer of pointer indirection in "CTiles *oMapMatrix;". If it's to be a two dimensional array, you'll need to add another star:
CTiles** oMapMatrix;
and also allocate using a loop:
oMapMatrix = new CTiles*[iLigne];
for (int i = 0; i < iLigne; i++)
oMapMatrix = new CTiles[iColonne];

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Look at this thread. It proposes a few solutions, namely the one in this thread and a more elegant version (look at Motorherp's version).

jfl.

There are two problems here. Firstly, the obvious one already pointed out is that you declare oMapMatrix to be of type CTile *, but a 2D array needs a pointer of type CTile **.
Secondly, you can't allocate a multi-dimensional array in C++ like that - only a single array.
Think of CTile ** meaning: a pointer to an array of CTile * objects. Or - an array of arrays. Firs you must create an array of type CTile *:

int dim1=10,dim2=5;
CTile **_2DArray = new CTile* [dim1];

Then each element of this array needs to be allocated an array of CTiles:

for(int i=0;i<dim1;++i)
_2DArray = new CTile [dim2];

An important thing to rembember is when you delete this data you must do something similar: you can't just delete _2DArray as that will just delete the array of pointers, leaving all those arrays of CTiles floating about. Something like this is required:
for(int i=0;i<dim1;++i)
{
delete [] _2DArray;
}
delete [] _2DArray;

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement