How to rotate different primitives to face the user?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sneftel 18 years, 6 months ago
Hello members, I'm coding an integrated 3D-Modeller for a game. In this modeller it is possible to right click on a primitive (GL_TRIANGLE, GL_QUADS, and GL_POLYGON), to get a window for changing / setting the primitives texture. For this texture window I need a sort of preview for the selected primitive and it's texture. What I did is I created a copy of the clicked primitive, so it has the same vertice coordinates, like the rotated original. Now I need to know, what to calculate, so that this copy rotates in a way, that it's surface is fully visible by the user. I need to calculate the three angles for rotating around the X-, Y- and Z-axis, but I don't know how. I'm no math guru. I asked for this in the math forum, but got no answer. I hope I'm now in the right forum? Can anyone help? Alex
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by awg_x
I asked for this in the math forum, but got no answer. I hope I'm now in the right forum?
That's because you posted the same question in the OpenGL forum as well so the math forum one was closed. Cross-posting again here isn't going to help you. Many people have given suggestions in the OpenGL forum thread, so if you need anything cleared up post in that thread.
@Kalidor:

Are you sure, that each forum is read, by the same people?
If not, then cross-posting is the only way, to get an answer.

In what forum would you ask a question, when not sure were it belongs to?

I'm coding in OpenGL, but my question is pure mathematical.
So it is independant from OpenGL.
But my first post in the math forum was closed. I think this was a bad decision.
Because calculating angles is a math question and should be answered in this forum. So it would have been better to close my cross-post in the OpenGL forum.

What do you think?
You're right, different people read different forums, so part of posting is choosing the one where you think you're most likely to get help. The problem with cross-posting is that people end up duplicating effort by providing information that may already have been provided. Also, relevant information gets spread across several threads, which isn't very useful for other people. In any case, it's verboten here, so the point is academic at best. An alternative is to try to get a thread moved if you come to realize you didn't post in the ideal forum. I don't know what the process for doing this is, although sometimes mods will do it of their own accord.

My recommendation, which is just an idea, is to re-post to your other thread. First, you could include a note to the mods wondering if your thread could be moved (you are correct that it is a math question and doesn't really have much to do with OpenGL per se). Then, explain what you're still stuck on, and tell us if or why the previous suggestions in the thread haven't worked for you.
I'm going to close this thread, and move your previous thread to GP&T.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement