Home Studio Help

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 6 months ago
I think I'm going crazy trying to figuree this stuff out!!! I started my own dorm-room studio here in college. I'm using my PC to do all of my didgital recording. I recently bought an Audio-technica 3035 condenser Mic, A Yamaha MG12/4 12 imput bus Mixer (to supply phantom power and a Preamp for the mic), the Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 to connect my mixer to my computer. Not to mention the other thousands of dollars between the computer, moniters, headphones, cables, ect... I had been using Cakewalk Pro at my last studio, but I no longer have access to it. Now I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but I have 1 major problem. I import the beat I want to use onto track 1. I try to designate the other tracks for my vocals, but when I "arm" the other tracks to record and I hit the record button, it doesn't just record from my Mic, but from the first track as well. The Record button from Track 1 isn't on, but it's still recording it to track 2 somehow (Like, it's automatically mixing it down). I need to be able to listen to the beat in my headphones and have JUST my vocals on other lines. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME! Era. PS- Anybody know some other good Recording software out there? I was looking at Cakewalk Sonar 2XL.
Advertisement
About C.E.Pro 2, it's a great wave editor, but the sequencing/recording part sucks. If you have some spare money buy Sonar or Cubase. Or any other. And if you're student mostly you will get a reduced price copy.
Thanks... I was looking at the Sonar... Anybody else have any suggestions, or have any idea how to help me with the Cool Edit Pro Program I have now?
Quote:Original post by Era4384
I think I'm going crazy trying to figuree this stuff out!!! I started my own dorm-room studio here in college. I'm using my PC to do all of my didgital recording. I recently bought an Audio-technica 3035 condenser Mic, A Yamaha MG12/4 12 imput bus Mixer (to supply phantom power and a Preamp for the mic), the Soundblaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 to connect my mixer to my computer. Not to mention the other thousands of dollars between the computer, moniters, headphones, cables, ect... I had been using Cakewalk Pro at my last studio, but I no longer have access to it. Now I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but I have 1 major problem. I import the beat I want to use onto track 1. I try to designate the other tracks for my vocals, but when I "arm" the other tracks to record and I hit the record button, it doesn't just record from my Mic, but from the first track as well. The Record button from Track 1 isn't on, but it's still recording it to track 2 somehow (Like, it's automatically mixing it down). I need to be able to listen to the beat in my headphones and have JUST my vocals on other lines. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME!
Era.
PS- Anybody know some other good Recording software out there? I was looking at Cakewalk Sonar 2XL.

I would be exceptionally careful about what you put in a dorm room in regards to a studio. An apartment might be a better setting to start building up your studio. Reason I say this, there is very large chance of things being stolen in a dorm environment. I can tell you from experience that I wouldn't leave anything out in the open where lots of traffic is always a possibility. Good luck with everything.
You might also go download Pro Tools Free--it's a free 24 bit recorder that is quite fantastic, and Pro Tools is the industry standard. If you're on OS X you're out of luck--on the Mac, it's in Classic only, but the windows version should run just fine in XP.
Quote:Original post by Blaise Douros
You might also go download Pro Tools Free--it's a free 24 bit recorder that is quite fantastic, and Pro Tools is the industry standard. If you're on OS X you're out of luck--on the Mac, it's in Classic only, but the windows version should run just fine in XP.

Don't forget that on OSX you can still run classic programs. (The Classic Layer)

When I used a PC (I'm now a mac geek) I used n-Track Studio along with Audacity.
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
yeah, but Pro Tools is one of the few programs that REALLY doesn't work well in Classic. Believe me, I tried :)

I use Audacity now too, it's OK for freeware and gets the job done. I miss my Pro Tools...
What is your record input set to in:

a) Windows

b) Cool Edit

?
I'm fairly sure my recording is set to Cool Edit... if it's not (aka, set to windows), how will I know, and how do I change it?? And as far as Pro tools goes, I know it's the industry standard, and I need to learn it someday, but i saw a book on it, and it was like 5 billion pages long... Is pro tools free any better? if i DL the free version, is it full, or does it limit the amount of recording i can do>? I have a PC and I'm running Windows 2000, but I also have a G4 Powerbook coming soon :-P I think I'm just gonna use that for editing, but we'll see.
Era
PS- My dorm is pretty safe. I live in a single, with automatic locks to get into the buildings, and automatic locks to get in the room. But thanks for lookin out.
Pro Tools Free is pretty easy to learn--I downloaded a copy when I was 16 and had no trouble learning to use it. It's fairly intuitive, and the editing process is fantastic--I've never come across a better editor, including Apple Logic (UTTER CRAP!!!! DON'T YOU DARE USE IT--and that is coming from a hardcore Mac user) and freeware like Audacity. There are no limits whatsoever to the program's capabilities--it is a fully functional 8 track multi-channel recorder. Your G4 that is coming won't run it too well because of the whole Classic/OS X thing, but I think that your PC should run it just fine. You might want to check the FAQs though, just in case. *sigh* I wish I could use Pro Tools again...here's the url:

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement