Sign in to follow this  
crazykid48x

Help starting

crazykid48x    100
I want to make A tetris clone in win32 api without using bitmaps. Ive read through afew c and win32 tutorials and I think I know enough to attempt it. The problem is I dont know how to go about this. Can someone suggest one or too methods for making the game? for example: First create a struct to represent blah blah blah And in every iteration of the main loop check this and that I dont want anyone to spoon feed me the solution but I need help getting started.

DeadXorAlive    535
Not directly an answer to the OP, but a question because of what the previous two posters said: isn't it possible to use the GDI for simple graphics like drawing lines and filling rectangles? So with that, you could make a tetris clone without bitmaps...
The GDI is WinApi32 right? Just want to know if I have gotten some wrong assumptions from what I've been reading somewhere.

EDIT: I don't have a lot of experience, but I can't help recommending you just learn SDL instead. I know, it isn't what you asked for, but I've been doing a little win32api and although it's not hard, SDL is so much easier for a tetris clone (just finished one myself). I think it will take you less time to figure out SDL with bitmaps and all than to poke around the win32api without using bitmaps. Here is a tutorial on tetris that uses SDL. It might help even if you decide to just use the win32api.

gav86    130
what i did with my tetris clone was set up a 2d array of "squares" for the "game area"

and set up a 1d array for the falling block (as it would not always be a square shape)

to check if there is anything below the falling block, just get the position of each square in the block and add 1 to it's y postiion, then check that coordinate against the game area to see if it is currently filled.