Sign in to follow this  
Alrecenk

Polygon Collision Response

Alrecenk    400
I need to know how to make polygons respond to a collision in a 2D physics engine I'm writing. I have (point in polygon) and (polygon to polygon) collision detection working, but I'm not sure how to make my masses react to a collision. Each object consists of a set of points each with position, velocity, and mass. The boundary of the polygon is represented by lines connecting the points in the order they appear in the list. Each point in the polygon is connected to every other point in the polygon with a spring that applies force to keep the points the correct distance apart. I'm not sure exactly what type of engine this is or what it is called so I haven't had much luck searching.... Almost forgot to link to the program: http://24.179.70.51/Java/show/physics/

Alrecenk    400
Thanks oliii, I found exactly what I was looking for in the Jakobsen paper. Apparently all you have to do is move the points out of the collision and let the springs handle the rest. Well, I guess I'll find out if it's really that simple when I try it.

Thanks for the compliment. I just hope I can keep the speed that good when I add collision.