Sign in to follow this  
PMSchuss

J2ME and Camera implementations

Has anyone out there implemented AND shipped an application using JSR 135 to grab images from the camera on the J2ME phones that support this feature? I've been working on an application that does this, but the number of partially implemented or flat out bugged features on any given phone leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. The current build I've got reliably previews and takes pictures, but the preview is invariably the wrong resolution (not the one I requested), has graphical glitches around the sides, or some other issue. Also, once you do try and take a picture, a pop-up asks if you want to allow the picture to be taken. The picture is NOT taken until after this (which is very confusing to the user). If anybody has any tips as to how they have worked around some of these issues, I would certainly appreciate it. =)

Quote:
Original post by PMSchuss
The current build I've got reliably previews and takes pictures, but the preview is invariably the wrong resolution (not the one I requested)

Most implementations have a very severe limit on the resolution of pictures you can take with MIDP. Usually they are much lower than the actual resolution the camera can handle. The conspiracy theory* on this is that "they" don't want to implement an MMS-killer with MIDP.

Quote:
Original post by PMSchuss
Also, once you do try and take a picture, a pop-up asks if you want to allow the picture to be taken. The picture is NOT taken until after this (which is very confusing to the user).

This is a security issue. The only way to get rid of those pop-ups is to make your application signed and request the proper permitions in the jad file. Understanding MIDP 2.0's Security Architecture.

shmoove

* Nothing substantiated obviously.

It's not really the fact that they're taken at a lower resolution that bugs me as much (the result goes through a JSP that does bicubic scaling on it which cleans things up a bit). It's the fact that there are almost always weird artifacts and graphical glitches all over the place when you try and display the video preview an a canvas. Putting the video an a form is *sometimes* better, but then you have to deal with the numerous inconsistencies in the form and softkey implementations.

That's good about the warning. I thought that the warning persisted after the midlet was signed and on the deck. My QA dept. will be glad to hear that.