[.net] OpenGL under-represented?

Started by
5 comments, last by Xanthos 18 years, 6 months ago
Dotnet OpenGL developers are now a minority in a minority it seems. But I see no real reason for that. Maybe it is just that the OpenGL bindings are not as easily available or known as managed directX. Or is it just my imagination? And little request to the mods: The forum title sais it is a place to discuss .NET, including managed directX and C#. I think it would be better to say ".NET and Mono, including C#, managed directX, OpenGL and other API bindings" instead. This would focus the OpenGL/dotnet discussion in a single forum and not spread it to 3(this forum, OpenGL and Nehe) and make OpenGL bindings like Tao more popular in the gamedev community.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Xanthos
Maybe it is just that the OpenGL bindings are not as easily available or known as managed directX.

Or maybe it's the fact that they're bindings. Or maybe it's the likelihood of an OpenGL user being suspicious of any and everything Microsoft. Or maybe it's because you can never be sure when the Tao Framework page will actually be up?

Nobody knows, really.

Quote:I think it would be better to say ".NET and Mono, including C#, managed directX, OpenGL and other API bindings" instead.

That's a mouthful! What about VB.NET? IronPython? COBOL.NET? I agree that the current description leaves something to be desired, but where to we find the balance between completeness and conciseness? Just something to think about.

Quote:This would focus the OpenGL/dotnet discussion in a single forum and not spread it to 3(this forum, OpenGL and Nehe)...

Question: why is there always such a strong negative reaction against combining the OpenGL and NeHe forums? I really don't think changing the forum description would change the forum member behavior, but YMMV.

Note: These are personal opinions, not policy or anything. I'm not saying the current situation is perfect; I'm inviting more speculation and analysis.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:I think it would be better to say ".NET and Mono, including C#, managed directX, OpenGL and other API bindings" instead.

That's a mouthful! What about VB.NET? IronPython? COBOL.NET? I agree that the current description leaves something to be desired, but where to we find the balance between completeness and conciseness? Just something to think about.

I have nothing against other languages/libs in the list.

And managed directX is also not much more than a binding, it`s just that it is currently in the list and OpenGL not. I gives a wrong impression to beginners IMO.

Maybe it would be better to move all managed directX discussions to the directX forum instead.

Hi,

If you want to use .Net with OpenGL you should try VC++ .Net perhaps? You can attach an OpenGL Rendering context to a .Net form this way. Its not that difficult. I have only moved to using .Net forms instead of Win32 windows. It makes adding GUI components easy.
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
The forum title sais it is a place to discuss .NET, including managed directX and C#. I think it would be better to say ".NET and Mono, including C#, managed directX, OpenGL and other API bindings" instead.

I think that the description says too much now. IMO it should only say "Discussion about the .NET framework and .NET languages"

And managed directX is also not much more than a binding, it`s just that it is currently in the list and OpenGL not.

I hate to side-track the topic slightly, but I have to disagree completely. Tao simply binds the procedural OpenGL API, while MDX creates a high level wrapper chock full of OO stuff.

As for it not being listed in the description... I think the description should be shortened to ".NET/Mono game development forum."
Quote:Original post by Cacks
If you want to use .Net with OpenGL you should try VC++ .Net perhaps? You can attach an OpenGL Rendering context to a .Net form this way. Its not that difficult. I have only moved to using .Net forms instead of Win32 windows. It makes adding GUI components easy.

I think you misunderstood the topic of this thread. I did not search for advise how to use OpenGL with .NET.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement