Mysterious Quit

Started by
13 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 6 months ago
OK well I was just writing up the beginnings of a program, just made a simple "clear screen to blue" for the time being. Anyway it worked fine, so I went to add a function for loading/displaying 2d images, which I screwed up (made it overcomplicated). I deleted all that stuff so the program was back to how it was before - just clear the screen to blue. It compiles fine but now when I run it it quits upon entering winmain. . . I ran the VC++6 debug and here is the output from that:
Quote: Loaded 'ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d9.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8thk.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mslbui.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found. The thread 0xE0 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The program 'C:\programming\cpp\DX\3DTest\Debug\3DTest.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Can someone tell me what on earth is going on!
Advertisement
The "no matching symbolic information found" messages just mean that you don't have the necessary info to debug into those system files. It's very unlikely they have anything to do with your problem.

I don't know why your program exited.
-Mike
Well, I guess you deleted too much.

"Loaded 'xxxx.dll', no matching symbolic information found" is normal and not an error.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
hmm OK thanks..

Im pretty sure all the code is there. . . *sigh*
Do you have some kind of event loop and are you sure you enter it ? Sounds like the program is terminating prematurely to me.

Edit: Wow, that's what I call a tautology. I'll leave it here for future reference. [grin]
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Ive isolated the problem down to this area...

wndHandle = CreateWindow("3DTest", 							 "3DTest", 							 WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,							 CW_USEDEFAULT, 							 CW_USEDEFAULT, 							 800,							 600,							 NULL, 							 NULL, 							 hInstance, 							 NULL);	if (!wndHandle)	{	  MessageBox(NULL, "!wndHandle", "message", MB_OK);      return false;	}

!wndHandle is true, which is causing the program to quit just after winmain() is entered.

HWND wndHandle is a global variable defined at the start of the file...
Show your window proc, it might be the cause of CreateWindow failing.
Alternatively you can output the value of GetLastError and look it up in the Error Lookup Tool (inside VS, Extras).

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

I've encountered some incidents where a CRT assertion triggers, but instead of actually popping up an assertion dialog box, the CRT simply forced the app to exit when the assert failed.

As for finding the actual assertion? Good freaking luck. I usually resort to progressive elimination, commenting things until the app exits normally.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	switch (message) 	{		case WM_DESTROY:			PostQuitMessage(0);			break;	}	return DefWindowProc(hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);}

Here is WndProc!

Can someone tell me how I might go about outputting GetLastError() . . to say a messagebox?
Ok, the WindowProc isn't at fault. You could use the debugger to get the value of GetLastError(). Just assign it to a variable and look at it in the watch window.

Another shot in the dark:
Is RegisterClass still being used? Maybe the class stuff got axed as well.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement