Gathering file names/ Directory Structure

Started by
0 comments, last by moeron 18 years, 6 months ago
Now that I've finally got music playing I'd like to set up the following: The user can store their .ogg music files in 'mygame/music', where the .exe is in 'mygame'. I want to search that directory and gather all the titles of their tracks so I can load them in at runtime, and stream a random track at the start of a level. Any suggestions as to how to go about doing this? Also, somone mentioned that loading '/music/mytrack.ogg' in my program would cause problems if it was being run outside of DOS/ Windows, on account of the directory structure. What could I be doing instead to ensure compatability across all platforms? Many thanks, Dan
Dan Marshallwww.gibbage.co.ukhttp://gibbage.blogspot.com
Advertisement
Assuming Windows, check out FindFirstFile on MSDN

hth
moe.ron

[edit]
Sorry, should have read the whole post better. Look into boost::filesystem for more info on cross-platform directory searching stuff.

Also using "/dir/subdir/file" should work just fine. Windows is the only system that doesn't use forward slashes I think, but they still work. I've never run into any issues with that. Maybe it would be better to use "./dir/subdir/file" for *NIX systems though so you start from the current working directory...Starting with the period would also be valid on Windows.

[Edited by - moeron on October 21, 2005 6:10:52 AM]
moe.ron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement