Sign in to follow this  
Undeadlnsanity

Camera system

Undeadlnsanity    233
I'm working on a 3rd person camera system for a game and I'm wondering whether it'd be better to make both the camera and the character move at the same time on input, or whether it would be better to move the character on input and set the cmaera to follow the character. Help anyone? Thanks.

kburkhart84    3187
I think both would work. It depends on how you want it to look. If the camera follows the character though, the game better not be too fast paced or the players could get mad. But then, if it isn't too fast, a smooth camera that follows smoothly looks the best IMHO, but only if the game is semi-slow.

deavik    570
Quote:
Original post by Undeadlnsanity
I'm working on a 3rd person camera system for a game and I'm wondering whether it'd be better to make both the camera and the character move at the same time on input, or whether it would be better to move the character on input and set the cmaera to follow the character. Help anyone?

Thanks.

My vote would be to definitely go for the second option. That way you have a lot more flexibility as to the position of the camera with respect to your player. For example, you can choose to interpolate the position or angle of the camera. It may also help in a situation where a wall turns up between the player and camera due to the player standing with his back to it. You can calculate back from the player position and check for collision along the way.

And the user is actually controlling the player, not the camera, so the second option seems more logical as well! [smile]

kburkhart84    3187
Quote:
Original post by deavik
Quote:
Original post by Undeadlnsanity
I'm working on a 3rd person camera system for a game and I'm wondering whether it'd be better to make both the camera and the character move at the same time on input, or whether it would be better to move the character on input and set the cmaera to follow the character. Help anyone?

Thanks.

My vote would be to definitely go for the second option. That way you have a lot more flexibility as to the position of the camera with respect to your player. For example, you can choose to interpolate the position or angle of the camera. It may also help in a situation where a wall turns up between the player and camera due to the player standing with his back to it. You can calculate back from the player position and check for collision along the way.

And the user is actually controlling the player, not the camera, so the second option seems more logical as well! [smile]

Good points. Just make sure the camera is fast enough for the pace of the game. As in, if the player moves quick, the camera needs to follow quick. That was the point in my above post.

sirGustav    588
I would go for the second too, since with a few parameters and a few extra config screens the user may setup the camera to point at whatever he/she wants. Distance from the player and "height above the players head" etc.

Undeadlnsanity    233
Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied. I can see why you feel that option #2 would be more logical.

If I was to use option 2 then I could also spin the camera around the character independantly.

Again, thanks.