Sign in to follow this  
kuro_kuma22

i need to know all you know about game design im in high school and i need your help

im in high school and i need your help im working on a school project and my group chose game design plus this is my future career choice me and my pals could really use your wisdom i can usually be found on a forum site like this called gaia www.gaiaonline.com if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can my name is K_U_M_A underscores included you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com i will check the thread as often as i can also

The most popular language for programming games right now is C++. People have posted some really good tutorials in the thread c++ tutorials (it's a sticky) thread, so check them out. Once you know the language, you need to learn an API, or Applications Programming Interface. It's basically a whole new set of functions designed to help you with graphics, music, etc. I like using DirectX, but DX games only work on Windows. For cross-platform capability, you may want to try SDL or Allegro. You can search Google or Amazon.com fro great tutorials+books on all of these. Hope that helps.

I don't think there's actually a job called a "Game Designer". Usually a higher level programmer or artist will eventually be given their own team and they will be responsible for game design. Maybe things have changed these days though.

Yes, apparently they have. There is a job called Game Designer; they are responsible for designing the flow of the game, what areas are visited, what kind of monsters are fought, pretty much everything creative. They tell their ideas to the artists who make the graphics, the composers who write the music, and the programmers who slp it all together. The team head is usually called the Producer, and they are in charge of the business related matters (there is usually someone seperate for PR).

There are two routes to becoming a game designer...

1. Learn to code, get really good, learn to lead teams of programmers then either start your own company or convince your employers to let you work on a game of your own design.

2. Learn a wide range of game development skills... a bit of coding, a bit of modelling, a bit of texturing. Do some modding (customising existing games) and learn to use the level editors that are out there. Get hired as a level designer / scripter. Learn to lead teams of designers then either start your own company or convince your your employers to let you work on a game of your own design.

The key common factor in these two routes is that you will need experience of project management before you can do any game design and if you ever plan on starting your own company you'll need to pick up some business management skills as well. It is not nearly enough to be a good coder or a good level designer... you must also be an expert in the practical logistics of game production.

Good luck.

Quote:
Original post by kuro_kuma22
if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can

my name is K_U_M_A

underscores included

you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com

i will check the thread as often as i can also

Try and do some research on your own. Don't expect people to just hand you what you're looking for.

Quote:
Original post by MetalRob
Quote:
if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can

my name is K_U_M_A

underscores included

you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com

i will check the thread as often as i can also

Try and do some research on your own. Don't expect people to just hand you what you're looking for.

i dont expect for some one to hand me the information

im doing research too

i was just looking for help

thats all

There are actually differences between game design and game development, design is more about creativity and gameplay and development is programming the darn engine.

So which of those do you want exactly?

Either way the articles this site has are a really good start

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Vexorian
There are actually differences between game design and game development, design is more about creativity and gameplay and development is programming the darn engine.

So which of those do you want exactly?

Either way the articles this site has are a really good start

thats a good question because there both good fields but i like game design

First of all I recommend you to read the books "Homo ludens" by Huizinga and "Man, Play, Games" by Callois.
These books gives you an insight to the theory of play, essencial to a game designer.
The game designer has to define the rules, setting, actions etc. that will result in outcome to the player and create meaningful play.
Also, take a look at the books "game design Workshop" (Fullerton et al) and "Rules of Play" (Salem and Zimmerman). Those are not reviewed here at gamedev and I haven´t finished them yet, but I find them very good so far.
Good luck.

Quote:
thanks i really appriciate your help

do you guys have any good advice for my shool project

im still doing research on the side but its not as helpful as you guys have been

Does it have to be any kind of specific or something like?
What topic is it about?
How much time you've get to finish it?
How big it has to be?
What does it have to contain?

I've, like you mentioned it, the topic is "game design", you have to further describe it, because "game design" contains a whole load of "Things to do" from Map-Cration, Game-Building, Artworks, or whatever.

Need more infos about that.

SpiegelEi

I think the point Leo_E_49 was trying to make, was that very rarely does someone get hired right off as a game designer. Usually these roles are filled by people that have worked in other areas of game development and demonstrated good design abilities along the way. This is a good thing IMO, because a designer should know enough about the overall process to know what sort of technical or artistic implications that certain design decisions result in.

Quote:
Original post by SpiegelEiXXL
Quote:
thanks i really appriciate your help

do you guys have any good advice for my shool project

im still doing research on the side but its not as helpful as you guys have been

Does it have to be any kind of specific or something like?
What topic is it about?
How much time you've get to finish it?
How big it has to be?
What does it have to contain?

I've, like you mentioned it, the topic is "game design", you have to further describe it, because "game design" contains a whole load of "Things to do" from Map-Cration, Game-Building, Artworks, or whatever.

Need more infos about that.

SpiegelEi

its due november 7th

were gonna make a game of craps with java script

we need reference on the script

script tags

we need game prievews just to show different styles of game designs

we need information to present

we need more book references so we can present what kind of reading material we all need

if i think of anything else ill be sure to post

thanks all for your help its really appriciated

Quote:
Original post by DrEvil
I think the point Leo_E_49 was trying to make, was that very rarely does someone get hired right off as a game designer. Usually these roles are filled by people that have worked in other areas of game development and demonstrated good design abilities along the way. This is a good thing IMO, because a designer should know enough about the overall process to know what sort of technical or artistic implications that certain design decisions result in.

Right on.

Quote:
Original post by m3rcyful ag3nt
Quote:
Original post by DrEvil

Right on.

im 15 so a lot of this confuses me

can we get a little less technical please

im sorry for the inconvienece

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by m3rcyful ag3nt
Quote:
Original post by DrEvil

Right on.

im 15 so a lot of this confuses me

can we get a little less technical please

im sorry for the inconvienece

It means that in the future, as a game designer, you must also be aware of the technical limitions of your system. If you have knowledge of programming, 3D modelling and animation, for example, you will know what´s achiaveble and you be able to transmit your ideas more clearly to the programmers and artists.

Quote:
-snip-

Deadline: November 7th
What to do: Write a game of craps in java script

Question:
Quote:

refeering on which script? the javascript source or a scriptum ya got from someone in high school?

Quote:
script tags

same question.

Quote:

game previews of other game, or other game of craps, or different playstyles in YOUR game, or...?

Quote:
we need more book references so we can present what kind of reading material we all need

Bookreferences about Game Designing?
You already tried amazon.com?

Sorry if i ask so much.

SpiegelEi

Quote:
Quote:
-snip-

Deadline: November 7th
What to do: Write a game of craps in java script

Question:
Quote:

refeering on which script? the javascript source or a scriptum ya got from someone in high school?

Quote:
script tags

same question.

Quote:

game previews of other game, or other game of craps, or different playstyles in YOUR game, or...?

Quote:

Bookreferences about Game Designing?
You already tried amazon.com?

Sorry if i ask so much.

SpiegelEi

i havent tried yet but i will

we need different playstyles
and graphics

Sorry.

It basically means that to even become a designer, it often means that you will have had to spend some time in another area of game development. Programming/mapping/art/etc...

Just don't expect to get hired right away as a designer. More times than not the designer roles are earned.

Every decision the designer makes about how the game will work or play means additional work or difficulty on the part of the other developers(programmers & artists). IMO It is necessary for designers to understand this to efficiently create a game. What features are feasible within the time frame and constraints of the target platform(pc, console, handheld, cellphone, etc...)

As an example: I've had conversations with people who know nothing about game development who confess their 'genius' game design ideas as the best thing ever. Due to their inexperience they have no concept of the difficulty involved in accomplishing their list of features. One guy, touting the deformable cars in carmageddon had this game design idea where every single object in the game was deformable, including the map, and the pedestrians all had this really complex AI. There are similar examples almost daily in these forums, where some new guy has this amazing game idea, particularly MMO games around here. Most of them are doomed to failure from the start because they have no clue.

This ignorance of game development makes a designer completely useless IMO. I believe this to be a big reason why designers are often people who were previously involved in other areas. They understand what goes into making a game. Some guy straight out of college with a "game design" degree might be an amazing writer, and have some good ideas, but his inexperience with game development is going to make him landing a designer position very hard.

edit: m3rcyful ag3nt summed it up nicely too(and shorter hehe).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
-snip-

-snip-

i havent tried yet but i will

we need different playstyles
and graphics

For graphics, ask mr. Google Picture Finder :-) (make sure you are allowed to use them, or just simply get the idea of the drawing and try making your own graphics)
http://images.google.at/images?q=Craps&btnG=Search

As for the game of craps im not very educated with it ^^;
I just happened to google around for it, this might helps you a bit...
http://www.ildado.com/craps_rules.html
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/craps.htm

(source: google)

Also, one of the articles "IGN Talks Game Industry Salaries" on the front page of gamedev has some additional information.

http://games.ign.com/articles/659/659458p1.html

See the Game Designer section on page 2.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ah, good 'ol craps. Had to make that in my C class as a final project, and again in Java to show off its simplicity versus C or C++.

Wikipedia - Craps
Now, I'd help out with javascript, but I don't know any. Hopefully, though, the link will help to explain craps, if you didn't get any info from your teacher.