i need to know all you know about game design im in high school and i need your help

Started by
30 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
im in high school and i need your help im working on a school project and my group chose game design plus this is my future career choice me and my pals could really use your wisdom i can usually be found on a forum site like this called gaia www.gaiaonline.com if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can my name is K_U_M_A underscores included you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com i will check the thread as often as i can also
Advertisement
The most popular language for programming games right now is C++. People have posted some really good tutorials in the thread c++ tutorials (it's a sticky) thread, so check them out. Once you know the language, you need to learn an API, or Applications Programming Interface. It's basically a whole new set of functions designed to help you with graphics, music, etc. I like using DirectX, but DX games only work on Windows. For cross-platform capability, you may want to try SDL or Allegro. You can search Google or Amazon.com fro great tutorials+books on all of these. Hope that helps.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I don't think there's actually a job called a "Game Designer". Usually a higher level programmer or artist will eventually be given their own team and they will be responsible for game design. Maybe things have changed these days though.
Yes, apparently they have. There is a job called Game Designer; they are responsible for designing the flow of the game, what areas are visited, what kind of monsters are fought, pretty much everything creative. They tell their ideas to the artists who make the graphics, the composers who write the music, and the programmers who slp it all together. The team head is usually called the Producer, and they are in charge of the business related matters (there is usually someone seperate for PR).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

There are two routes to becoming a game designer...

1. Learn to code, get really good, learn to lead teams of programmers then either start your own company or convince your employers to let you work on a game of your own design.

2. Learn a wide range of game development skills... a bit of coding, a bit of modelling, a bit of texturing. Do some modding (customising existing games) and learn to use the level editors that are out there. Get hired as a level designer / scripter. Learn to lead teams of designers then either start your own company or convince your your employers to let you work on a game of your own design.

The key common factor in these two routes is that you will need experience of project management before you can do any game design and if you ever plan on starting your own company you'll need to pick up some business management skills as well. It is not nearly enough to be a good coder or a good level designer... you must also be an expert in the practical logistics of game production.

Good luck.
Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Quote:Original post by kuro_kuma22
if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can

my name is K_U_M_A

underscores included

you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com

i will check the thread as often as i can also

Try and do some research on your own. Don't expect people to just hand you what you're looking for.
What is the job description for a game designer?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by MetalRob
Quote:Original post by kuro_kuma22
if you go to search under forums type in my name and view the profile to email me if you can

my name is K_U_M_A

underscores included

you can also reach me at kuro_kuma22@yahoo.com

i will check the thread as often as i can also

Try and do some research on your own. Don't expect people to just hand you what you're looking for.

i dont expect for some one to hand me the information

im doing research too

i was just looking for help

thats all
There are actually differences between game design and game development, design is more about creativity and gameplay and development is programming the darn engine.

So which of those do you want exactly?

Either way the articles this site has are a really good start
------ XYE - A new edition of the classic Kye
Quote:Original post by Vexorian
There are actually differences between game design and game development, design is more about creativity and gameplay and development is programming the darn engine.

So which of those do you want exactly?

Either way the articles this site has are a really good start

thats a good question because there both good fields but i like game design

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement