[web] Firefox and CSS woes

Started by
2 comments, last by benryves 18 years, 6 months ago
I'm using some CSS-powered dropdown menus (Suckerfish-style). They work fine in Opera and IE, but (unsurprisingly) not in Firefox. The menus are sent as a standard bulleted list. The problem is that to get the root of the menu to appear all on one line, I'm using this:
#nav li {
    float: left;
}
IE and Opera only apply the style to the root. However, Firefox appears to apply this to everything - so my dropdowns are horizontal on everything. If I remove the float:left line, the menus are correct(-ish), bar the fact that the root is now split onto multiple lines, rather than all on one. My stylesheet is:
#nav, #nav ul {
	padding: 0px;
	margin: 0px;
	list-style: none;
	line-height: 1;
    font-size: 12px;
}

#nav li {
    float: left;
}

#nav a {
	display: block;
	color: white;
   	font-weight: bold;
   	font-family: arial, helvetica, serif;
    padding: 2px;
}

#nav a:hover {
    color: #F28108;
    padding: 2px;
}

#nav ul li a:hover {
    background: #0A77D4;
}

#nav li ul {
	position: absolute;
	background: #5EC0F8;
    visibility: hidden;
    border-width: 1px;
    border-style: solid;
    border-color: white;
   	padding: 0px;
	margin: 0px;
	list-style: none;
}

#nav li ul li:hover {
	background: #0A77D4;
    color: #F28108;
}

#nav li ul li {
    border-bottom-width: 1px;
    border-bottom-style: solid;
    border-color: white;
}

#nav li ul ul {
	margin: -0.5em 0 0 11em;
}

#nav li:hover ul ul, #nav li:hover ul ul ul, #nav li.sfhover ul ul, #nav li.sfhover ul ul ul {
	visibility: hidden;
}

#nav li:hover ul, #nav li li:hover ul, #nav li li li:hover ul, #nav li.sfhover ul, #nav li li.sfhover ul, #nav li li li.sfhover ul { /* lists nested under hovered list items */
    visibility: visible;
}

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Advertisement
Replacing
#nav li {  float: left;}
with
#nav li {  float: left;  position: relative;  width: 100px;}
seems to work in Firefox (where 100px is the desired width of the menu).
I haven't tested it in any other browser, and since I don't know the rest of the HTML, I can't really test it properly anyway. But it may help you somewhat. [smile]
"#nav li" applies to all li descendants of #nav, so also to the drop down menu items. You should either use "#nav > li" (which will not work in ie), or add "#nav li li { float: none; }", which disables floating again for the menu items.
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
Replacing
#nav li {  float: left;}
with
#nav li {  float: left;  position: relative;  width: 100px;}
seems to work in Firefox (where 100px is the desired width of the menu).
I haven't tested it in any other browser, and since I don't know the rest of the HTML, I can't really test it properly anyway. But it may help you somewhat. [smile]
All the list elements have a width specified manually with style="", but the position:relative fixed a few minor alignment issues.
Quote:Original post by twanvl
... or add "#nav li li { float: none; }", which disables floating again for the menu items.
This fixed it completely. Thanks!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement