Magma Duel v1.2 -- Heating up the action!

Started by
5 comments, last by HopeDagger 18 years, 5 months ago
Magma Duel is a game written in inspiration of the original 1996 DOS game, Marshmallow Duel. Magma Duel is a much more advanced game than the original was, sporting many new interesting powerups, and fancier graphical goodies (via DX8). New In Magma Duel 1.2 ====================== -> Brand new, spiffier player sprites/animations -> Round-based play, with scoring of kills, deaths, cause-of-death, and each player's favourite item throughout the game -> New settable options (powerup spawn speed, per-round delay, # of rounds) -> Bigger rope detection radius for climbing -> Binary checkboxes for powerup selection in Options (previously you had to tediously enter a percentage for each powerup) -> Dramatic 'SPLASH!'ing of magma when players or platforms fall into the gooey magma below -> Half-way towards online play (most likely in the next release!) Many more hard hours of work were put into Magma Duel, and your feedback for continuously improving it are most graciously appreciated. So grab a friend and nab Magma Duel -- you might just have some fun. :) Download Magma Duel Magma Duel Showcase Entry [Edited by - HopeDagger on October 22, 2005 9:49:02 AM]
Advertisement
I like the improvements- the new sprites look nice and well animated, and the customizability options are even better this time.

Found a bug though: gravity can't be set to zero or the players won't be able to move at all! :( I also tried setting gravity to something like 0.0001 and they players really never came down .
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed
The screens make me think joust, except you don't have to worry about flapping wings. :p Let me know when you have multiplayer going (online), I'll duel you. Or if you're just looking for people to debug multiplayer / test it out (which I know, at least for me, can be hard to find people for that), let me know.
--Mike
Quote:Original post by xaver
Found a bug though: gravity can't be set to zero or the players won't be able to move at all! :( I also tried setting gravity to something like 0.0001 and they players really never came down

Doh. I'll take a look at that one -- thanks. :)

Quote:Original post by mikedoty
Let me know when you have multiplayer going (online), I'll duel you. Or if you're just looking for people to debug multiplayer / test it out (which I know, at least for me, can be hard to find people for that), let me know.

Heh, you're on. ;P

I think I'll take you up on that offer, too. It is tough to find testers with enough patience to go through with testing menial not-that-fun stuff like lobby functionality, etc.

Thanks for the comments, guys!
"I played with myself for a few minutes" *sigh* and I rather enjoyed it. Any chance of adding some AI for when there's nobody online/around?

I like the rolling animation when you jump from 2 platforms up, looks nice.

The graphics/animations look good in motion, the controls are easy to use, and the sounds get the job done.

Keep up the good work!

- Dan
Very nice, and some good changes from the first version. Some things that I think would improve the game (bear in mind that most of this is gameplay changes, so I might just like werid gameplay :)):

Be able to grab onto the rope during a jump.
Be able to change your direction mid-jump (not realistic, but I think the gameplay would be better).
Be able to fire a weapon while in the air.
Be able to let go of a rope and fall straight down (maybe double tapping the down key?).
Have the player switch item preserve the player's momentum so you can deliberately jump into oblivion and the other player will continue the jump, rather than falling straight down.
Whenever a player is climbing a rope, center the sprite over the rope.
Make a delay on the mine (so you can drop it and walk away without blowing yourself up).
Be able to set multiple lives for one match.
Spawn with a weak weapon (so you can have immediate fighting).
Possibly make the default jump height high enough to jump up.
Allow more than two power-ups to be on screen at a time.

At any rate, though, it's great the way it is!

Music and sound for interactive media: http://www.jervinmusic.com
Quote:Original post by dgreen02
"I played with myself for a few minutes" *sigh* and I rather enjoyed it. Any chance of adding some AI for when there's nobody online/around?

AI is a toughy, but I'm not sure if I'm going to brave it or not. ;)

Quote:I like the rolling animation when you jump from 2 platforms up, looks nice.

The graphics/animations look good in motion, the controls are easy to use, and the sounds get the job done.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much for the candid feedback, Dan. Much appreciated. I'll continue to keep a close eye on your game as well. :)

Quote:By Jervin
1) Be able to grab onto the rope during a jump.
2) Be able to change your direction mid-jump (not realistic, but I think the gameplay would be better).
3) Be able to fire a weapon while in the air.
4) Be able to let go of a rope and fall straight down (maybe double tapping the down key?).
5) Have the player switch item preserve the player's momentum so you can deliberately jump into oblivion and the other player will continue the jump, rather than falling straight down.
6) Whenever a player is climbing a rope, center the sprite over the rope.
7) Make a delay on the mine (so you can drop it and walk away without blowing yourself up).
8) Be able to set multiple lives for one match.
9) Spawn with a weak weapon (so you can have immediate fighting).
10) Possibly make the default jump height high enough to jump up.
11) Allow more than two power-ups to be on screen at a time.

1),2),3) Gameplay quirks, really. It has a unique feel with the limitations/features it currently has with character navigation. I'm afraid of breaking it, to be honest. ;)
4) Good call. I'll add this.
5) Caught me on procrastination. I'll get that, too.
6) Same as above, hehe. ;)
7) People have been walking into their own mines a lot, from what I've heard. I'll do something about this.
8) I'll say 'maybe', but I'm leaning towards not doing so. Is this because the round transitions are too lengthy?
9) A weak weapon? Like a random powerup?
10) Do you mean high enough to jump to the above platform?
11) There is no limitation on the number of powerups present.

Thanks for the exhaustive list of suggestions, Jervin! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement