Sign in to follow this  
rjackets

DirectMesh2 and Blending

rjackets    270
I've looked through the directmesh documentation and examples, but I can't seem to find any information on Additive Blending. The docs refer to setting which bones are active and inactive, etc... but it doesn't seem to mention anything about how to set this. From what I can tell, animations will automatically blend BETWEEN two different animations (or do they?), but how do I set TWO active animations to be playing at the same time -- and how do I set which bones are active or not? Thanks in advance for the help.

circlesoft    1178
Good question. I guess instead of calling them "active" bones, I should have called them "preferred" bones or whatever. When exporting the animations, the artist would select which bones should always be active during an animation. This would be done through a simple dialog of some sort.

For example, if the character is punching, you always want the arms to be included in the animation. If the character is running, you always want the legs to be included in the animation.

What Additive Blending will do is take the active bones of two or more animations and combine them. So let's say at runtime you want the character to be both shooting AND running. Just take the active shooting bones (the arms) and combine them with the active running bones (the legs).

rjackets    270
I think I see what you mean -- except for the last part:

"Just take the active shooting bones (the arms) and combine them with the active running bones (the legs)."

How do I go about combining them? Do I do this when making the animation? It looks like the way I set an animation is with the mesh->SetAnimation() command. However, if I set this to a new animation it will switch from that one to the new one, right? So is there some other command that I use to define which animations to combine?

Thanks again.

circlesoft    1178
Quote:
Original post by rjackets
How do I go about combining them? Do I do this when making the animation? It looks like the way I set an animation is with the mesh->SetAnimation() command. However, if I set this to a new animation it will switch from that one to the new one, right? So is there some other command that I use to define which animations to combine?

Ahhh okay...the version that you have is DirectMesh v1. It was the only completed SDK released. The DirectMesh 2 stuff you are reading was just a design document that I wrote.

DM1 only uses keyframe animation, so there are no bones or animation blending.

rjackets    270
Oh, lol. That would explain it. I was wondering what I was missing. I went through all the source and couldn't find a whole lot about bones, etc. I look forward to getting my hands on DM2 when it's released.

PS. Great job on the DirectMesh SDK in general! It's great both as a tool and a learning utility [wink]