• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Axiverse

Short Circuit

This topic is 4656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does C++ short circuit? (MS VC++ Express) This means that this will work: Foo* foo = NULL; if (foo != NULL && foo->Bar()) { .... } Cause it will not evaluate foo->Bar() if foo == NULL since that comes first.

Advertisement
Yes. I'm not sure on how guaranteed that is, or in what cases it might fail, but I've always seen it work, and I've never seen people more knowledgable than me comment on it, making me suspect it is something guaranteed.

Yes, it guaranteed by standards compliant C++ compilers. "...&& guarantees left-to-right evaluation; the second operand is not evaluated if the first operand is false." (Section 5.14 paragraph 1 in ISO/IEC 14882:2003)

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Yes, it guaranteed by standards compliant C++ compilers. "...&& guarantees left-to-right evaluation; the second operand is not evaluated if the first operand is false." (Section 5.14 paragraph 1 in ISO/IEC 14882:2003)

Also I believe that, similarly, the || operator will not evaluate the second operand if the first is true.

"Unlike |, || guarantees left-to-right evaluation; moreover, the second operand is not evaluated if the first operand evaluates to true." (Section 5.15 paragraph 1)

So yes, or works the same way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!