Sign in to follow this  
Lucidquiet

MinGW

I'm trying to install MinGW on my Win-box, and I'm having trouble with understaning the downloads can some one assist me? There are like 5, gcc-core, msys, mingw-runtime, mingw-binutils, etc. I don't even know which to start with. I started with msys, and then I went to edit the fstab file and put the MinGw mount point, but there is nothing in the MinGW directory. Also I started it up and it won't find gcc... there is no man of course, it said their wouldn't be -- but does anyone know where I could download these at? Also what is with gcc it doesn't have a --help, or -h flag... I just get [no files give] or something like that. Help, L- Thanks

Hi there Lucidquiet!

Welcome to the world of MinGW :P Ok, first of all: Don't despair, the structure of the downloads section seems very unorganised, because it is! But basically to get you started you can try downloading and installing the following components (in order):

1. MinGW Runtime
2. MinGW Utilities
3. MSys developer Toolkit
4. MSys (get the .exe, as it will perform a "post install" which makes sure that everything works together correctly)

This will give you the most important tools, including make, gcc etc and should be enough to start you off. Don't be confused by the fact that there are also individual downloads for GCC etc., you won't need those, as the above list includes them anyway.

I haven't tried this with the current version yet, so if you have problems, let me know! I'll probably give it a try sometime tonight, too.

EDIT: Actually, read the post after this one, Kwizatz's method is probably a bit simpler, and he's also right about make - you'll have to get that separately as it's not included in the bundles. I wasn't lying, just remembered it wrongly :P Good luck!

[Edited by - Deniz on October 21, 2005 5:25:15 PM]

Here is how I do it.

Get MinGW-4.1.0.exe, install that
Get MSYS-1.0.10.exe, Install that
Get mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.exe, Install that.

After that, you should have a working toolchain, however, you may want to update some of the components (binutils,gcc-core and g++ in particular), download the .tar.gz of the components you want to update, extract and copy over the instalation you have.

Alright I think everything is up and running now.

Alright I did this:

Quote:
Original from: Kwizatz
Get MinGW-4.1.0.exe, install that
Get MSYS-1.0.10.exe, Install that
Get mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.exe, Install that.

I don't know why I didn't see this before. The problem is that the download site shows 3 or 4 different version of the software, Proposed, Current, Previous, etc.

I didn't look past the Current...thinking everything I needed would be there. My bad, I guess. I down did the MinGW-4.1.0.exe install which is located in the area labelled Previous...for whatever reason. Which apparently works fine some how with... unlike the newly create 5.0 which doesn't have proxy support.

GCC and G++ work fine (as far as I have tested them to).

The ftp site for mingw-make got a 404 error as for downloading it through the install, though its still available through the link in the download area...so I had to install that instead of letting the MinGW install take care of it, which entailed removing it from the list of stuff I wanted it to download and instal.

I installed MSYS and realize now that I think MSYS is the terminal or at least that interface. I didn't see any documentation confirming that, so its just my guess as to what the purposes is of breaking it apart the way that it is.

I tried using find.exe through the MinGW terminal looking for itself, and wget. It didn't find itself, and of course wget isn't there to find. (That's an awesome sentence).

Anyhow it appears to be working now.

Thanks for help, both of you,
L-

Sign in to follow this