• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ostamo1

Dll_question

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have created a dll (mydll.dll) and when i compile it i get a mydll.lib and mydll.dll file then i go to create my test application(testapp) i go to compile it it also makes a testapp.lib and testapp.exp is that supposed to happen or do i have my settings set up wrong?? my testapp works ok i am just curious

Advertisement
It's supposed to happen.

.exp files are export files, which define what functions and variables a module exports. .lib files are intermediate files that are created during the linking stage from .obj files.

A project is usually split into several translation units (also known as compilation units). Each of these translation units is compiled separately, and the result of this compilation is a .obj file (there is more than one file format for object files). These are then linked to form a .lib file (a library file). A .lib file may be distributed as a final product, or it might be part of another executable. Finally, .lib files are linked together to form an executable (.exe, .dll).

By keeping these files around, the compiler/linker avoids having to re-compile translation units that haven't changed.

ok thanks its just that i thought only the dll project itslef made those files

not the project i was gonna use it in

thanks for the feedback

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!