Dll_question

Started by
1 comment, last by ostamo1 18 years, 5 months ago
i have created a dll (mydll.dll) and when i compile it i get a mydll.lib and mydll.dll file then i go to create my test application(testapp) i go to compile it it also makes a testapp.lib and testapp.exp is that supposed to happen or do i have my settings set up wrong?? my testapp works ok i am just curious
Advertisement
It's supposed to happen.

.exp files are export files, which define what functions and variables a module exports. .lib files are intermediate files that are created during the linking stage from .obj files.

A project is usually split into several translation units (also known as compilation units). Each of these translation units is compiled separately, and the result of this compilation is a .obj file (there is more than one file format for object files). These are then linked to form a .lib file (a library file). A .lib file may be distributed as a final product, or it might be part of another executable. Finally, .lib files are linked together to form an executable (.exe, .dll).

By keeping these files around, the compiler/linker avoids having to re-compile translation units that haven't changed.
ok thanks its just that i thought only the dll project itslef made those files

not the project i was gonna use it in

thanks for the feedback

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement