Profilers

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 6 months ago
Hey, I am currently coming towards the end of a project and the program's performance is not up to scracth, optimisation isnt something that I have a huge ammount of experience in and was hoping some people might be able to point me in the right direction. I have been told that profilers can be great for optimising projects but wouldnt be sure which to use, is their any particular profiler that stands out? My project uses C++ and Viz.NET. Thanks for any help
Advertisement
Are you willing to spend money on a profiler or do you want to rely on free products? What architecture is your development machnine? Intel? AMD?
we use AMD's profiler and a tool called glowcode for profiling. Glowcode does cost money but isn't that expensive, $100. AMD's is free but is often too much info, if you've used VTune you get the idea.

Just my humble opinion!

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Im using an intel board so I assume the AMD profiler wouldnt work would it?

I heard there was a free version of Compuware Devpartner, anyone know if thats any good?
Quote:Original post by hoogie
[...]I heard there was a free version of Compuware Devpartner, anyone know if thats any good?
It depends where your bottlenecks are. It can be very good for basic bottleneck finding, but it doesn't give very detailed info. It's definitely better than nothing. Beware, though, that while optimizing with it some things will seem significant that are not. For example, in a program I had it showed that the SC++L file streams were very slow and that memory mapped files were many, many times faster. After turning off profiling, the two methods both took the same amount of time even for large files (several hundred megabytes).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

Kernrate is a free Profiler from Microsoft. It's in fact a kernel mode profiler, so it's meant for profiling drivers as well as applications.

There's no fancy UI involved, but it's really powerful once you get used to it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/2004/12/21.aspx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement