Sign in to follow this  
Stellar Developer

ragdoll animation discussion...

Im beginnning to understand animation at a detailed level. however I havnet grasped ragdoll animation. Im looking for book suggestions, online tutorials, and advice... Im assuming that the engine has to support both skeletal systems, and pre-generated skeletal animation. What I dont understand is how bones are to react when they recieve collision from external objects. To give a scenerio, a character is running forward (moving legs, arms, and such) that is all a pre-recorded sequence loaded from a file. If the character is hit by a ball in the shoulder, how can I keep the current animation, yet change the trajectory of all the joints so they react accordingly. I dont understand how you can have a pre-recorded numbers and then take real-time numbers into account at the same time? Or do real-time physics take over once the character is interrupted. any and all suggestions welcome. thx, -sd

Tom    352
In the present mindset, a ragdoll is controlled entirely by the physics simulator. If it's being animated, it is not [yet] a ragdoll. You can incorporate kinetic reactions into your regular animations. You might look into animation blending. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that myself, but someone else probably could.

Leo_E_49    228
I've also been searching for that subject. Here's the best I could find:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=299410

Also look at the Physics and Math forum FAQ:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=20

Ragdoll is very processor heavy and is quite complex physics. I will be researching rigid body motion (although I have already taken a module in university on it) and particularly numerical methods of integration (Euler and Verlett) which will probably take a few days before I can even start programming.

The problem isn't really the maths or physics, although they are pretty complex. It's getting it to work in real time that's tricky.

Good luck with your implementation.