Sign in to follow this  
CadeF

Small texture precision problem with HLSL shader

The numbers, in white, is the size of the render target 128 is 128x128, etc. I am rendering dynamic hlsl fire to a texture. At any texture size below 2048x2048, it produces those errors shown in the left 2 pictures above. 128x128 is too blurry to see the .rror properly. The textures sampled in the shader are all 512x512. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Try outputting a static color from your PS. That way you can tell if the problem is in the texture creation, or in rendering the created texture.

Hope this helps.

Its in the created texture, as I am perturbing the coordinates of the fire texture with 3 moving noise maps, the "error" perturbs randomly at the base of the fire. This dissappears at 2048x2048 (about that res, not exactly), but is visible at resolutions below that. It is slightly visible at 1024x1024 and more prominent as I decrease res until it gets too blurry to notice (128x128).

The shader I am using is the same as the shader in ATi's RenderMonkey's DX9 fire shader. I have tried both my shader (which distorts the backbuffer above the fire) and the ATi shader and both have this problem. (Note that the screenshot is ATi's shader, as I took it before adding heat distortion)

Any ideas?