Normal FPS?

Started by
7 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 18 years, 5 months ago
Just added something into my game engine to count the FPS. I'm averaging about 1000 FPS, with a single textured cube (12 triangles) that rotates. Is that about normal for a single cube all by its lonesome?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
It all depends on your video card. But for something so simple you would expect a frame rate as high as that.
You know, you really shouldn't care about the framerate of a single textured cube.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
yeah that's normal. computers are fast. :)

btw: a more useful measure than frames per second is often milliseconds per frame.
That may not even be a very accurate FPS count because at that point, your timing calls might not be too accurate (depending on what you are using).
Quote:Original post by vNistelrooy
You know, you really shouldn't care about the framerate of a single textured cube.

I don't really, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't waaaaay out of the ball-park. So, I know now that it does work.

Quote:Original post by omgomghilol
That may not even be a very accurate FPS count because at that point, your timing calls might not be too accurate (depending on what you are using).

I'm using QueryPerformanceCounter, so I think I'm okay with that.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
The timing may be accurate, but it doesn't mean it is meaningful. Drawing a thousand of those boxes isn't going to drop you to 1 fps and might well still leave you around 1000 fps.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Yeah, but that would be expected because the hardware is going to be able to easily render pretty much whatever I throw at it at this point.

I was just wanting to make sure that I hadn't stuffed up somewhere along the way, like one of those errors that can be really small, hard to find, and stuff up everything.
It's a reasonable, though meaningless, number. Meaningless because it has no practical use as a measure of work.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement