Geographically Distributed Team Programming

Started by
7 comments, last by Numsgil 18 years, 5 months ago
I'm working on a project, and gaining new programmers all the time. Which is great! But it's quickly becoming too much to just be emailing changes to everyone... So what's the best way to share changes in source quickly and make sure everyone has the latest source? I have my own webspace, so if there's some PHP program I could set up... or maybe there's something that everyone can download onto their computer that automatically checks for sourcecode updates? That would be even cooler.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Advertisement
You should probably get some form of source control if you can run a server for it. SVN is good and free.

tj963
tj963
Sourceforge provides free CVS for open source programs.

CVS is a revision control system, where you can get the current version and all previous checked in versions of a program. I'm sure there are better revision control programs, but I'm not sure about better free ones. You can also set up your own CVS server, but it's not remotely PHP related so you might need dedicated hosting or something.
Well, BerliOS hosts SVN (which is far superior to cvs imo; read more here) as well. Anyway, beyond that, if you have a closed source project of some type, Freepository offers cvs hosting.

As for php, I have no idea as I have little experience myself, but via cron and bash scripting you could easily set up regular checkouts, archiving, and builds for your project on your webserver.
I'd really like to keep it all within the umbrella of my webspace. I mean, I paid for it, I should be able to use it for stuff like this.

Ideally I'm thinking some sort of PHP/MySQL version control system. Very similar to a wiki, but crafted specifically for code. Does something like that exist.
source control try SOURCESAFE which according to contacts of me is very amazing good :)
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
source control try SOURCESAFE which according to contacts of me is very amazing good :)

I've used Sorce Safe and I would not suggest using it. Its Microsoft's program and they dont even use it...

Perforce is pretty good. If they have a free trial that you can use for as long as you want but it only supports 2 users.

If you want something totaly free there is CVS. Its really basic but it gets the job done. If your programmers are on widnows then the client you'd probably want to use is called WinCVS. There are other clients out there so check them out too.
The thing is I'm not sure my webspace is set up for CVS (I understand it has to run as an actual executable).
Can someone direct me to an extreme newbie tutorial on setting up either CVS or SVN on my webspace, or if it's possible, or what...

Everything I find starts out above my head and only goes deeper.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement