Sign in to follow this  
Sylveste

C / C++ and Game programming books

I was browsing through the books section hoping to find a good beginner level GAME programming book. Not a DirectX/OpenGL book. Something that introduces me to game programming and discusses all the basic aspects of making a small game. This one seems really interesting: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=406 It's about game programming in general and uses the Allegro library and Dev C++ in all the examples. BUT!... For some reason the author does all the examples in C. I know C++ and Java. I wish to use C++ as I really have no interest in learning a third language (no matter how much it resembles C++). So... My questions :D Are C and C++ so close to each other that this book would be usefull to me? Or... Could someone give me other reading recommendations? (I don't want anything that just discusses DirectX programming in Visual Studio. No thanks)

I honestly wouldn't consider C a different language from C++. The only difference between them that anyone really uses is classes (C only has structs). Plus, all C code will compile in Dev-C++, so I would reccommened getting that book.

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
I honestly wouldn't consider C a different language from C++. The only difference between them that anyone really uses is classes (C only has structs). Plus, all C code will compile in Dev-C++, so I would reccommened getting that book.

There is a lot more that seperates C and C++ besides classes! Generic programming comes to mind. Also the STL. Also, Dev-C++ can compile C++ code just fine!

That said, if you already know C++, you really know C as well. As you read the book, you can convert the author's code to a C++ code base. This would be excellent practice, and when you finish, you'll have a mini game engine. I flipped through that book at the bookstore and it seemed very good.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Original post by Sylveste
I know C++ and Java.
Are C and C++ so close to each other that this book would be usefull to me?

Here is a guide to C for C++ Programmers.

For the most part you probably won't have much of a problem compiling C code in a C++ compiler, but there is some info in the C++ FAQ lite: [32] How to mix C and C++.