Blender Model Problems

Started by
7 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 5 months ago
I have a character model in Blender that looks extremely smooth. However, whenever I export it to the .x format and load it up in MeshViewer, it looks rough and blocky (I made it by continuously extruding a single cube). Am I doing something wrong, or is this a limitation of my exporter?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
It's possible that you still have it doing face normals, instead of vertex normals. Blender supports both. Select all the vertices and set them to smooth.
O.K., I've selected my entire model and pressed every combination of smooth-related buttons there is; it looks smooth when I render it in Blender with the F12 key, but it still looks blocky in the mesh viewer. This leads me back to the conclusion that there's something wrong with the exporter; does anybody have a personal favorite Blender->.x script?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
If it helps, I have it set to apply level 2 subsurfacing during rendering; I'm assumming this isn't permanent? I also have it set to apply 2 subsurf to the entire model.
Maybe you use "subsurf" and .x file format is not handling it...
Try to disable subsurf and see if it look the same as in meshviewer
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
Yeah, that's the problem, the Sub Surfacing effect is not going over to the .x file. Has anyone every experienced this problem before? Please help, this is seriously slowing down development of my game...
I don't know if you already solved this, but here's what you can do.
I assume you're using blender 2.37, right? In that version, SubSurfing can be applied as a modifier, but non permanently, which means that after you export the model, you get it un-SubSurfed. In version 2.40 (There's an official alpha version at www.blender3d.org for download, fully functional except for the game engine), a modifier stack was added, with the difference that you can apply a modifier, and then remove it keeping the effect on the model like SubSurfs (just press the Apply button).
Ok I think I know how to solve this:

1.) Smooth you want smooth with the subsurf button
2.) There are two numbers under the subsurf button, the one on the left smooths the model in the modelling windows, the one on the right smooths when rendering
3.) Be in object mode so you can see the smoothness, and change the number on the left until the model is smoothed as desired
4.) Make sure the object is still selected then hit Alt + C to convert to mesh, decide whether you want to keep the original mesh or delete it.
5.) If all went well, you will have a smoothed mesh but a much higher poly count.

--Dmitriy
I already sloved it, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement