Homeworld style engine trails

Started by
4 comments, last by comedypedro 18 years, 5 months ago
Im presently using particles for engine effects in my 3d space game but they look rather amateurish and Id like to get some really good looking trails like in Homeworld. Has anyone tried to implement this or have any pointers? I know I can store coords along a ships flight path but whats the best way to actually draw these? Im thinking GL_LINES or triangle strips?? Any advice much appreciated.
Advertisement
Well i hang out in the DX forums more than here... BUT...

One way of doing it would be to draw a very long skinny quad. Texture it with a graphic that has a gradiant in color to the middle. Then every frame just update the starting edge of the quad and the ending edge of the quad. Ie, if the ships moving from right to left, just decrease the starting edges and ending edges by some unit every frame so that it keeps up with the ship. Now when the ship turns it might be a litlte more difficult... Just thought i'd throw out a possibility you could toy with.
- Trust no one -
Here's a couple of bookmarked threads I have on this subject:

A few more spaceship trail q's
Space ship trail effects

The images are dead, but the theory's all in there.
Well it would have to be more than more quad, more like 50 or so, but excellent idea about using a texture with a colour gradient in the middle. Thats got me thinking in a few new directions.

Thanx for speedy reply Avengre, here have a positive rating on me!!
Thanks evolutional as well. I did search but searching for the word 'engine' on a game programming site brings up the other type of engine!!!!!
Sweet!! The Homeworld source is available, I can see exactly how they did it!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement