Torque Game Engine...

Started by
5 comments, last by Bursar 18 years, 5 months ago
does anyone know if you can create your own characters, creatures, buildings, etc. from scratch or if you have to choose from a selection of skin colors, hair type, etc. etc.??? any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Enjoi"Pratice is proggesion, not perfection."
Advertisement
With Torque, you pretty much have to create your own characters, creatures, buildings, etc. from scratch. You can use tools like Blender, Milkshape, Gamespace, or Max to make 3d models, and Quark, Hammer, or 3d World Studio to make buildings. If you wish, you can purchase pre-made characters and buildings.
For information on getting started in Torque, you should really check the Garage Games website first; probably all of the information you need is there.
Use your brain or lose your mind.
cool. that is want i want to do. it is way better to be able to create something how you want and make it YOUR piece than pick from selections other people have made.
Hey, I've heard of Torque, but I don't know how it's used.
Is it a programming compiler like darkbasic or is it a deisign app
like worldcraft?

Also, do I need to be well learned in c++ to use it? I am only a
beginner in C & C++.

Furthermore, if I get it do I have to spend money on a license to START
to make a game or just when I try and sell it?

What extras should I get with it? (milkshape, ect...)

Ignorant Newbie,
~S of the L~
Torque is a design app., i`m pretty sure.

I am new to Torque, i just got it about a week ago, but i was reading the documentations for "getting started" and it said you need to know the basics of C or C++ before you start using Torque. to make sure my answers about the first thing is correct or if you have any more questions you could visit their website at "http://www.garagegames.com/".

you do if have to buy a license, but only once and it cost $100. that is a license for companies making under $250,00. the commercial license cost more. you can get extras with it if you want but it has pretty much all you`ll need. you do need a complier and there is some system requirements. to make sure my answers are correct or if you have any more questions you could visit their website at "http://www.garagegames.com/".

hope this helps. =)
Thanks, I now have GG in my favorites and I read some of the basics.

/thousand_questions
However; when I buy the thing off amazon do I need to buy the license right then or can I postpone until I have a game to sell?

Quote:Blender, Milkshape, Gamespace, or Max to make 3d models, and Quark, Hammer, or 3d World Studio to make buildings

Do I need those? Are they required for the thing to work?

Quote:you pretty much have to create your own characters, creatures, buildings, etc. from scratch

Scratch as in proggramming scratch or drawing scratch?
I really suck at proggrammin as of now.

And one final question(I hope): Does '3D Game Proggramming All In One' come
with the FULL version or a demo/cutback version? Anyone know?

Thank you! ~S of the L~
IIRC the version of TGE that's in the book is a couple of releases old. It is complete in the same way that the version you can download from GG is.

You can just download the demo from GG and play with that to decide if it's right for you. The main difference between the demo version and the full version is that you get the engine source code, right to release anything you make, and access to the private forums once you buy.

The actual engine is exactly the same and you can do quite a lot of stuff in script without having to delve into the engine source code.

Edit - the 3D apps you listed are not needed to make TGE run, but you will need them to create the 3D models that you want to use in your game. You do get some 3D models with it (Kork the Orc character and a couple of buildings) but you'll need to create and texture anything else yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement