• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xycos

How to store map data outside of program?

This topic is 4625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, basically, I'm interested in creating a console-style RPG world, but I want to know how, exactly, I would store the various things in the world. I can get the world itself together using DotScene, but I'm wondering how I would store the objects within the world... For example, how would I store a person you would wealk up to and tallk to (and what they would say), or a chest that could be opened (and what would be stored in it)? I could make them as objects, and code them in by hand, but if I'm going to have a large game world, it would cause code bloat. So, uh, yeah... I know this is a pretty stupid, general question, but I want to move beyond Breakout and Pong. Thanks, Best of wishes, xycos

Advertisement
Agreed... -___-

How would I do that (is there a tutorial or something)?

Thanks and best of wishes,
xycos

There's an article on using XML here. I'm writing a couple of scripting articles too at some point, but otherwise look into tutorials on embedding languages like Lua, Python, GameMonkey and similar.

Depending on what language you're using, you might want to take a look at YAML also. I'm using it, and it's very nice.

http://www.yaml.org/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!