My futuristic idea about colonizing Mars and Venus

Started by
99 comments, last by Endar 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by wilhil
Excuse me, but I started by saying I dont know much about nano tech, and everything that I was talking about, I saw on the discovery chanel last night, I thought it was a joke, but they were going on about nano tech and how it would soon be available.

You might find this article interesting: Everything you always wanted to know about nanotechnology... But were too afraid of quantum spookiness to ask. You have to watch a brief advert to get to the article, but it's worth it. And then you can read this article on some of the potential applications of nanotech: The (really scary) soldier of the future. Thanks to nanotechnology, he'll be a lethal superman who can heal himself..

As for the rest of the thread - try to exercise a greater degree of diplomacy please.

//edit - as far as terraforming Mars goes, a magnetosphere is needed to protect the atmosphere from solar winds per the wikiquote. That would mean getting the core of the planet to spin and that kind of technology is centuries beyond us.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by odiousangel
Raduprv, you have to be the most stubborn GDNet poster I know of. I think you need to admit defeat and move on once in a while.

You present an idea (subject it to criticism), it turns out to be a bad idea. You continue to defend it, but the more you try to defend it, the weaker it becomes. You do this to yourself all the time here.

It is perfectly fine to present an idea and have it proved illogical, or to revise a bad idea based on criticism, but to defend an inherently flawed idea so vehemently is silly.

It frustrates me because you seem like a nice guy and one whom shouldn't squander all his time on such things.

Hey, I am not asking for your money to do it, now do I? :D
All the great inventions were met with laughter and distrust. A little over 100 years ago, people would laugh if you'd tell them you are going to build some device that is capable of liftoff. Telling them you are planing to build a space ship to go on the moon and back would have sounded even more ridiculous.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in a few hundred years, we might have the techology to move the planets away from their orbits, so we could place Venus and Mars close together, effectively limiting the inherent problems with this long pipe between them.
Now I am not saying how we could move the planets, but we have the sun that is a huge and virtually infinite source of energy. We also have billions of years ahead of us, unless we do something really stupid and destroy ourselves in the process.
Quote:Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Transfer orbits are great because they don't require the ship to provide any thrust, its all done by the gravitational pull of the other planets. The only mass you'll need to worry about is in the braking mechanism. Compression doesnt decrease mass, but it decreases size.

But you still need some energy to accelerate away from Venus and head to Mars. You also need some energy to head in the right direction. Breaking might not be necesary, since if the ship is cheap, you can just crash it on Mars.
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Quote:Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Transfer orbits are great because they don't require the ship to provide any thrust, its all done by the gravitational pull of the other planets. The only mass you'll need to worry about is in the braking mechanism. Compression doesnt decrease mass, but it decreases size.

But you still need some energy to accelerate away from Venus and head to Mars. You also need some energy to head in the right direction. Breaking might not be necesary, since if the ship is cheap, you can just crash it on Mars.

Re-usable ships in this case, would be cheaper, unlike reuseable shuttles. And as far as transfer orbits go, this one is pretty low power:

Quote:
The Interplanetary Superhighway has come to denote a set of transfer orbits between various planets and moons in the solar system. These transfers have particularly low delta-v requirements, and appear to be the lowest energy transfers, even lower than the common Hohmann transfer orbit that has dominated orbital dynamics in the past.

If a spacecraft placed at the L1 point is given even a slight nudge towards the Moon, for instance, the Moon's gravity will now be greater and the spacecraft will be pulled away from the L1 point. The entire system is in motion, so the spacecraft will not actually hit the Moon, but will travel in a winding path off into space.

The transfers are so low-energy that they make travel to almost any point in the solar system possible. On the downside, these transfers are very slow, and only useful for automated probes.

I've dealt with these simulations before in Orbiter. With a bit of work, I could easily expand it to deal with large scale automated vessels.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Here's another thought. By the time we are able to terraform Mars we will likely have figured out how to build fusion reactors and therefore how to transform the materials on Mars to make the elements needed to terraform it. So instead of transporting CO2 from Venus, it would make more sense to use a fusion reactor to create it inplace.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
As you know, Nasa is planning to send humans on Mars in 2050 or so.
Mars suffers from not enough atmosphere. If it had a denser atmosphere (especially greenhouse gases such as methane and CO2) the temperature there would be warmer, and the pressue would be better suited for life forms.

On the other hand, Venus has a lot of CO2, and the pressure and temperature are too much for known life forms (especially for humans).

For the time being we do not have the technology to do this, but with the advancements in nano technology and new materials, wouldn't it be possible in the future (maybe 500 years from now) to build some very elastic and flexible pipe between those two planets, and pump the CO2 from Venus to Mars?
If we could manage to do that, both Mars and Venus would have a climate pretty close to the one on Earth, so we could colonize them without building space domes and stuff like that. We could directly walk on their surface, without any protective gear.

For someone who wrote an mmorpg, Rad is surprisingly dumb about some things. This is one of them.

I thought this was a joke at first. I agree with apchild, you guys should be ashamed of your ignorance; at least give some thought and do some research before you post this stuff. It really is quiet surprising.

Quote:Original post by LessBread
Here's another thought. By the time we are able to terraform Mars we will likely have figured out how to build fusion reactors and therefore how to transform the materials on Mars to make the elements needed to terraform it. So instead of transporting CO2 from Venus, it would make more sense to use a fusion reactor to create it inplace.

Yes, but we'd need a LOT of resources to do that. And it wouldn't address the Venus issue :)

@AnonymousPosterChild: It would take quite a while for those ships to travel from Venus to Mars thoug. Then if they have to return too, it would take forever to put any atmosphere in place.
Why do you need a pipeline? Just compress it in tanks, calculate the path of all the gravitational bodies that will have an effect, and use that info that calculate the right direction to launch the tanks. Then you just need a way to accelerate them really fast (essentially a big cannon). If you can get enough precision, you could end with the tanks in orbit around mars and from there you just gradually slow them down, release the gas, and launch them back.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Why do you need a pipeline? Just compress it in tanks, calculate the path of all the gravitational bodies that will have an effect, and use that info that calculate the right direction to launch the tanks. Then you just need a way to accelerate them really fast (essentially a big cannon). If you can get enough precision, you could end with the tanks in orbit around mars and from there you just gradually slow them down, release the gas, and launch them back.

Yes, that is a posibility too, but it takes quite a lot for the tanks to arrive, and you can't put too much gas in a tank. On the other hand, with a pipe you get a steady flow when the planets are close to eachother (or a permanent constant flow if you move the planets to be in the same orbit).
Great, now the idiots are rating me down. Oh well... shows what it's worth I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement