Where to start...?

Started by
5 comments, last by Leo_E_49 18 years, 6 months ago
I know BASIC. Upside-down, inside-out, and several other directions as well. I want to know which language ,NON-BASIC, I should start with. All the options out there are intimidating, and I really can't learn them all... I have some (minimal) experience in C++... That is all.
------------------------------I just learned to speak CounterStrike! "W00t I own this map!I m lik a l33t h4x0r or sumthing n0 0ne can 0wn up to my r0x0r skillz!"
Advertisement
You may want to start off with Python. It's relatively simple (compared to C++) and has a larger feature set than BASIC. It's also extremely useful and will come in handy later on for writing quick utilities and other scripts.
Ra
C++. We tell beginners to start with Basic all the time, so that they learn the basics of programming before attempting to use a language as complex as c++. You say you know basic already, so it seems to me that the next natural step would be c++. Once you master this, adopting to another language is much easier.
thanx for sharing
I would imagine once someone has mastered C++ they rise to a higher plane of existence.

ive been messing with it for a fair while now and i still feel like i dont know more than 1 or 2 % of what there is to know
If you decide to go the python route, take a look at pygame.
Hey, my name is Joran.

And if you know BASIC inside out the best languages to go on is Visual Basic. It also supports opengl and the syntax is quite the same as BASIC.

Let's say dim x as integer, it is also the same in visual basic.
When we talk about functions and subroutines just the same.

You will grasp the language in no time. Once you understand Visual Basic.
Try other languages like C/C++ and MFC, Win32 aso you will begin to see
the hole big concept how every languages has the same basic rulez.

Have a nice study time, i know i had when i learned visual basic and other languages.

Quote:Original post by gav86
I would imagine once someone has mastered C++ they rise to a higher plane of existence.

Haha what a curious concept. C++ is rather an easy language when you get used to it. It just takes a different way of thinking about how a program can be written. Remember, C++ translates into assembly same as any other language. :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement