Sign in to follow this  
happySam

Could we use Poser models in our game?

Hi experts, I am a beginner. I just begin to learn Poser 4. In some web sites, some people we can use poser models in making games and some say we cannot(they even say it is illegal to do so,too). I am quite confused. COULD WE USE POSER MODELS IN MAKING OUR GAME? In Poser websites, it mentions many examples use in game industry.(If we cannot use Poser models in our daily life, what is the use of "Poser"?) Thanks in advance. Sam

You can use 2D renders of Poser models in games (as sprites) but you cannot use the actual 3D model.

Most Pser figures are also far too high poly to use in 3D games anyway.

Bursar, please do not spread misinformation.

Of course you can use the 3D data of models created with Poser in your own applications. If you create your characters yourself, without using the default ones that come with Poser, then you have full ownership over their copyright, and you're free to do whatever you want with them.

You can also use the models that come with Poser, provided that you distribute the data in a proprietary and closed format only readable by your application (ie. you cannot distribute original Poser models as eg. 3DS files, because they are not proprietary. You must convert them into your own fileformat, same with the textures).

OK, you stick V3 in your game as a model and I'll watch as you try to explain to the DAZ lawyers that it's OK because you converted the model to a proprietry format...

The same applies to the included Poser figures. Take a look at the EULA. If you can post the bit that says you can do what you are suggesting, then I'll come back and give you an apology.

But with regard to models that you create in Poser, you are right, you can distribute those, but that's not what I interpreted the OP as wanting to do.

Quote:
Original post by Bursar
The same applies to the included Poser figures. Take a look at the EULA. If you can post the bit that says you can do what you are suggesting, then I'll come back and give you an apology.

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------
*** POSER 6 END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (EULA) ***

[snip]

CONTENT DISTRIBUTION

[snip]

I. The purpose of defining certain content as Restricted Content is to protect the Company's investment, interests, and ownership of Restricted Content. It is not the Company's policy to unreasonably restrict or inhibit any third party's creative or commercial activities. The following are Legitimate Uses of Restricted Content:

- Creating morph targets based on the Restricted Content provided that any distribution of the morph targets will not include the original mesh connectivity information. This can be in the form of data utilized with morph moving utilities or in a .CR2 file that references the original geometry but does not include the complete mesh.

- Creating texture templates derived from the Restricted Content to create new maps for either Restricted or Allowed content.

- Creating tutorials, books, or other educational materials using images of Program interface for sale, distribution, public display, etc., provided they are intended to educate users as to use of the Program, or when used under the "fair use" guidelines of US copyright law. Any other use of images of the Program interface must be approved by the Company's prior written consent.

- Creating original content (props, hair, clothing, etc.) for Restricted Content for sale, distribution, public display, etc.

- Creating materials (shader trees) for use with either Restricted or Allowed Content.

- Creating characters or props based on Restricted Content in proprietary file formats, where the original (or modified) geometry, texture, or other Restricted Content Files are not distributed with said characters or props.

- Creating PoserPython scripts.

This is actually a pretty standard clause in 3D modelling software EULAs. If you purchase the software license, you purchase a right to use the models that come with it for any purpose. But this license is not transferable by you, so you have to make sure to not make the models available to third parties, as this would qualify as distribution. The usual way is to use a proprietary format.

That's not the same thing. What you have highlighted basically reads: You can take our models, make some changes to them and distribute them, providing the data that relates to our models is not included.

So you could distribute a file that modifies the original Poser content, or extends it in some way, but you can't distribute the original Poser content.

Quote:
Original post by Bursar
That's not the same thing. What you have highlighted basically reads: You can take our models, make some changes to them and distribute them, providing the data that relates to our models is not included.

So you could distribute a file that modifies the original Poser content, or extends it in some way, but you can't distribute the original Poser content.

That's not what it says.

Quote:

- Creating characters or props based on Restricted Content in proprietary file formats, where the original (or modified) geometry, texture, or other Restricted Content Files are not distributed with said characters or props.

The EULA clearly states that you can save any data you want, including that of "restricted content", as long as you don't distribute the original files.

Quote:
Original post by Bursar

That doesn't even make sense.

No, as I mentioned, this is a completely standard clause you will find in pretty much any commercial modelling package in one form or another. Same goes for many commercial model or texture collections and libraries.

As I explained above, the reason is to avoid distribution of said content in a format usable by third parties without a usage license. Historically, you were only allowed to use such models in renderings and similar, so that the 3D data could not be reused. Today, the proprietary format clause is added to accomodate realtime usage. Some more strict EULAs even require encryption and specify a minimum key length.

But in the case of Poser, it's perfectly fine as long as you don't distribute the original (or modified) files of the restricted content in a standard accessible way.

It is maybe a little difficult to understand when talking about models. If we compare it to a source license, it becomes easier to see. The above license basically reads as: you may use our sample source code in your products, in original or modified form, as long as you only distribute it in binary format without the source (so that others cannot reuse our sample source in their own projects without buying their own license).