assemblers

Started by
15 comments, last by smart_idiot 18 years, 5 months ago
I am looking to start on assembly (I do have prior programming knowledge), what would do me best? afaik x86 is the industry standard but would that be good to start with? and with your reccomendation could you point me to an assembler? thanks
Advertisement
You really should search the forums for an answer on this question as it comes up quite often: Gamedev.net - assembler.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
thanks
Quote:Original post by game mercenary
I am looking to start on assembly (I do have prior programming knowledge), what would do me best? afaik x86 is the industry standard but would that be good to start with? and with your reccomendation could you point me to an assembler?

x86 is an absolutely horrible architecture. Its instruction set stretches back more than thirty years, to a chip which was designed for digital calculators. Rather than starting from scratch when we realized better ways to build microprocessor architectures, Intel decided to go waaay out of their way to maintain compatibility. Opteron chips still contain support for instructions which are virtually useless except for digital calculators. It has a tiny (and hamstrung) register file, an ugly method of performing floating point ops, and SIMD extensions that feel every bit as tacked-on as they are.

With that said, it *is* the industry standard. And since you already know programming, you already know most of what you need to know about assembly in general. I'd suggest you go straight to x86. Have fun! [grin]
Assembly language is specific to the processor, so if you're targeting x86 architecture, yes you'll need to learn x86 assembly language.

My favorite x86 assembler is the Netwide Assembler, it has pretty clean syntax and good macro support.

Others:

Fasm
Yasm
I agree with both above posters about x86 assembly. You could of course look into MIPS as well. It's used in a few places: PS2, SPARC (I think), and a few others.

tj963
tj963
am I correct in that assemble programs do not need an OS to run?

I have a p4, so x86 would be my best. thanks
and what about masm?
Quote:Original post by game mercenary
am I correct in that assemble programs do not need an OS to run?

I have a p4, so x86 would be my best. thanks

For most applications you always need an OS, don't expect to write a program in x86 expect it to run on windows and linux etc. If you handle all annoying interrupts and misc initializations stuff then you don't need an OS.
I see

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement