General Purpose Code Editor

Started by
9 comments, last by Boku San 18 years, 5 months ago
I'm in the market for a new code editor/IDE. And by "in the market" I mean "unwilling to pay for", obviously. Just wondering what a few are that you all *use* (not "have tried, but no longer use for X"). For the moment I'm using Code::Blocks, which I like; like, that is, except for the rather large memory footprint and overall "incomplete" feel. So I'd like something a bit more polished. Also, I don't mind dealing with the command-line (been working mainly with Cygwin for the past few weeks), but I'd like to be able to automate tasks. Features ideally include: - customizable syntax highlighting and indentation - basic project management -- source browser categorized by file extension - at least basic extensibility - speed & low memory usage, but also - some type of code completion or "go to function" and - customizability enough to define syntactic rules and highlighting for any language It seems like a lot, I guess. But I really just want an editor that I can open up any time I like to scribble something down, but that still has a few of the conveniences of an actual *code* editor -- Crimson Editor comes to mind first, but I'd like a little bit of input from someone else before fighting it for one-time macro setup.
Things change.
Advertisement
I use Crimson Editor for just about everything except Java (for which I use Eclipse). D, C, C++, Python, PHP... I sometimes miss more advanced, scripted macros. But I've used it long enough that I'm quite productive now. Just thought I'd second it since you already put it forward :)
context...

www.fixedsys.com/context if i am not mistaken.
Beware of the Mighty Hamster!
Quote:And by "in the market" I mean "unwilling to pay for", obviously.

Same here. ;)

My C# 2005 Beta prog ran out. The old download wasn't a 30 day trial. :(
tompp, anything to say about conTEXT?

It looks nice -- experience with it?

EDIT: Hmm...I don't know about it. I'm going to side-by-side it with Crimson in use and see how that goes for a while.
Things change.
You want Emacs. Emacs has modes for basically every language invented (including Brainfuck and whitespace), it totally configurable, can be run on pretty much any OS. Check out http://www.emacswiki.org for more information.
Vim is really nice too, with a slightly steeper learning curve than Emacs.
I actually haven't tried emacs -- been using vim for basic editing recently, though.

Steep learning curve.
Things change.
Nowadays I am a user of XEmacs. How did that happen? Well, I keep asking myself that, and I guess it boils down to it always being there, to be relied upon when everything else fails.

I was a user of fancy IDEs once, but I repeatedly kept coming back to XEmacs for various tasks, such as scripting in obscure languages that the fancy IDEs have no mode for, and writing HTML... It's pretty cool how it can check your HTML syntax for you!

Anyways, as the years passes, I used XEmacs more and more, and grew quite fond of it. Now I use it for everything, including C++!

Try it, you might get addicted too.
Quote:Original post by Boku San
tompp, anything to say about conTEXT?

It looks nice -- experience with it?

EDIT: Hmm...I don't know about it. I'm going to side-by-side it with Crimson in use and see how that goes for a while.

Looks pretty good to me and you can't beat the price.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement