Sign in to follow this  
paul_stanely_45

Best Path, What Do You Figure?

Hello, This is my first post on the gavedev.net forums. I found out about the site a while back from a man who programmed a game called "Autum Fog". He signed up on my forums a great deal of time ago, well, more like a couple months. Me and a freind had decided to look into game development because PHP and Flash had become boring and the community wasn't as appealing as it originally had been. Me and him have been roaming this site for about a day now reading the begginer's articles and such, getting our bearings so to say. I learned alot of incredible things from reading the articles. I am going to head over to the local library tommorow and check out some books on c++. I had debated whether to go with C or C++ on game development. I had a few internet freinds say that C++ was the way to go because of its Object Oriented features. My intial question is where do I start? What path do I take? I know basic programming concepts for sure. If you click the link my signature or head over to http://www.flashtroops.net/forum/ you will see the forums I scripted in PHP. They have a security hole here or thier for the most part they are pretty good, I think I did a good job. I do not have any links of flash game I have made, they are out there though. So I know all about basic syntax, for , while, foreach, do while, and etc. loops are. Strings, integers and all the other typical things. I dont think I need to go into much more detail then that. Back to my point, so I read alot of the begginer articles and there was one saying I should start with games like tetris, then move onto pacman, then a side-scroller. I do not know where to begin, I guess basic C++ programming would be a start, but I do not know where to go from there, like actually writing code that intializes games in windows API. (sorry if I make some in-correct statments, Im taking a couple blind stabs here),. So maybe some helpful links, books, posts. Anything to get me going in the right direction would be much appreciated. On a completely un-related note. I am glad to be becoming part of what appears to be a very very strong programming community and I hope to be here and eventually be one of the people answering questions like these. I apaologize for any errors or spelling or grammar I have made in my posts. I also have to say I am a bit nervous posting here, reading the TOS and rules, it looks like a very strict place with very harsh rules. I have no reason to be scared of course, I just tend to get nervous when it comes to fine print. Other then that, I hope I am not judged on my age on these boards. Thanks for your time!

Sneftel    1788
Given that you already have a handle on the basic theory of programming, I'd say go straight to C++. Take time to learn it; it's a considerably more ornery language than PHP. Once you're down with all that, move to graphics... NeHe isn't a bad place to start, though I'd recommend this book as much better.

The rules here are stricter than many other webforums, but they're strict in a way that's designed to make sure you get the most out of the site. Be polite and respectful, and you don't have anything to worry about.

Ah yes. Thank you very much. I hear the book C++ from the ground up works wonders. I beleive my local library has it in stock. I figure I will get to work tommorow.

Unrelated note once again, if you don't know, where would I find out how to compile my scripts in linux. I have Dev-C++ to compile for windows. Compiling for linux I am unsure of. I am running MEPIS, a debian based system.