the mysterious 'chkesp.h'

Started by
2 comments, last by Mephs 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I am currently reading 'programming a multiplayer fps with directX' and its all great, however when i try and run the pre-compiled exe for chapter 13 (it HAD to be 13 didn't it) that came with the cd (which is supposed to be the finished game) it loads the window but just says that it has encountered an error. When i compile the pre-written code that also came on the cd with VC++ 6 it compiles perfectly, no errors no warnings, i then run it through VC++ 6 rather than just as an exe and it doesn't work again, this time as it does some vauge debugging and it says: on line 42 of 'i386\chkesp.h' "The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one convention with a pointer function declared with a different calling convention" I personally don't really know what its waffling about but i can usually figure it out by reading online and in the include file, one problem... it doesn't exist, and apparently shouldn't exist, it isn't called in the code or anything. There was a thread based roughly on this posted on here in 2001 but had no answer, why the hell is an include file, that doesn't exist, telling me it has an error in it when im not even calling it?
Advertisement
When I worked a bit with the irrlicht engine, and I was messing around with re-compiling the whole engine from the source code, back into a dll, after adding some functionality, I got this a lot when, after compiling I tried to run a program that used the new dll without replacing the .lib file. Or the .exp file. I can't remember which one, it was one of those.

But it happened when I replaced the old dll with the new one and didn't update one or both of those files.

But if you're not working with a dll, I don't know. Other than that, just step through the code. Probably start just after the window creation code.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
It stops working after the sound initializes, so there would be a logical place to look, what is puzzling though is that it's the code which came with the book, i haven't changed it so it SHOULD work. I have set DirectX up on three computers now so im 98% i have it up correctly...
Is this any help? I'm sur eI came across thed same problem once also and had hell fixing it, but I'm also sure I fixed it in the end, but I'm not sure how :P, hope the link helps anyhoo! If not, try searching for 'checkesp' in google as that seemed to bring up a lot more info than 'checkesp.h' did (if you haven't already done so).
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement