Sign in to follow this  
paulbird

Game engines

paulbird    182
I am making a game engine and I am trying to decide what interface the user will use to code the actual game in. i.e. scripts or C++ etc. I wonder if there is a way to send messages to and from an executable file dynamically? If you thinks scripts are the best way to go, what scripts would you suggest? One solution is to make the game engine into a library file but I don't really like that way much. Finally I had an idea that I could let anyone package the engine along with their game that they made with it but that when someone uses that game they have to register the game engine for the first time and pay, say, $1. That way all the licensing is done automatically. Any thoughts?

dawidjoubert    161
Take a look at ORTS its an open source RTS project.. its works as follows

1.ENGINE
2.CONTENT

now the engine is only the engine and has no presets at all
then the content is where the scripting is and so 2 totally
diffrent games could be run on the same engine.. Example
u could have a Starcraft mod and a Earth2160 mod running on
this engine

I Say scripts otherwise u need 2 give them the source so
they can execute..

But consider half life 1 used .dlls for the GAME MECHANICS
which was appart from the engine

There is always VM(Virtual Machine) approach, like in Quake3 or UnrealTournament, its just like java, there are some really good books related to this topic you should check it out, or if you want to check out Valve supports mods for half-life check out half-life SDK

Krohm    5031
Taking unreal as a reference, they raccomand to use UnrealScript for everything, unless it's time-critical. Time critical code shall be in native machine languages.
With faster processors however, this seems to have become a weak reason. I believe most of the game code in Q3 actually runs in its virtual machine.
The problem here is in my opinion, that making the VM before having roughed out the engine is pretty pointless.

lc_overlord    436
Quote:
Original post by Krohm
Taking unreal as a reference, they raccomand to use UnrealScript for everything, unless it's time-critical. Time critical code shall be in native machine languages.
With faster processors however, this seems to have become a weak reason. I believe most of the game code in Q3 actually runs in its virtual machine.
The problem here is in my opinion, that making the VM before having roughed out the engine is pretty pointless.

Yea, all of the q3 game code runs on it's VM, but for q3 there is another option, you can compile it as a dll for more speed.
VM is ok, but it can be hard to implement, dll files are probably the easiest way.
But you could still try LUA or something similar.

unless you decide to release the code that is, it's not like your code is more special than anyone elses, and with the proper licence you can still make money on it.