union passing

Started by
6 comments, last by Ra 18 years, 5 months ago
i have some unions that i want to pass to function but i'm not sure what the syntax should be, would making them global be bad programming practice?
Advertisement
if your union is in some header file, then

union UnionName{

};

void someFunction( UnionName value );

in c

typedef union{

}UnionName;

void someFunction( UnionName value );

what is the actual problem you have / what are you trying to do
i'm making a pong clone and read the unions help minimise thememory useage by the program. So if i did this

union VectorSpeed{    float xspeed;    float yspeed;}int main(){    VectorSpeed ball;    changespeed(ball);}int changespeed(union ball){    ball.xspeed++;    ball.yspeed--;    return ball;}

would that work? how would i do it with references?
union VectorSpeed {    float xspeed;    float yspeed;}int changespeed( VectorSpeed & );int main() {    VectorSpeed ball;    changespeed( ball );    ...}void changespeed( VectorSpeed & some_union ) {    some_union.xspeed++;    some_union.yspeed--;    return;}
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
I hope you realize that in your union xspeed and yspeed occupy the same space in memory, and therefore will always equal the same value. This is probably not what you intended, and if you want them to be two independent variables you need to use a struct.
Ra
so what would i do to pass a struct by reference
Quote:Original post by JasonL220
so what would i do to pass a struct by reference

You pass it by reference by using the &-sign, just like with unions.

struct VectorSpeed{    int x,y;};void Foo(VectorSpeed& Parameter){   // Do stuff}
struct velocity{        float x;        float y;};void foo(velocity &);int main(void){        velocity ball_v;        foo(ball_v);        ...}void foo(velocity & v){        v.x = 1234.5;        v.y = 5432.1;}
Ra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement