Sign in to follow this  
cyric74

4E4 Entry Demo Video

My 4E4 entry, Shadows Of The Savage Fist, has really started to come together in the past week--mostly due to my college introducing something magical called 'Fall Break'. So with my 5 day weekend, I've managed to produce about 75 hours of pure game production. This is a very short little video I made to show my friends who ask me just about every day how the game is going, and thought it would be fun to post it here as a sort of teaser. Just some quick notes: * All sound and music are produced by the game--not added in post-video production. * I did all of the graphical work (with the help of Poser 6 & photoshop), as well as the game engine, mapping, scripting etc. * I began work on this project Sept. 23rd * This is my first real game project, besides a Neverwinter Nights mod. * I used Fraps to record this video, which totally kills the framerate (normally runs ~60, fraps dragged it down to 17, and also caused the music to be a little twitchy). This also made the rain look pretty bad, but it is actually decent looking with a good framerate/video quality. * There is no demonstration of combat or other systems because I don't want to show off very much of the game, and the visuals for the combat UI are still being made (hence the square in the upper left corner). The music is by the guys at www.SoundRangers.com. Royalty-free, cheap to license and excellent quality. Right Click, Save As... My personal site, so be kind on the bandwidth. =D Cyric cyric74@gmail.com www.HostileHorizons.com

From the looks of it, I see a few things that I think could make it a bit better looking. Besides that big building in the beginning, the others look exactly the same, just a different color. I guess that is okay but they look a bit too simple like that. Also, in the patches of grass, you should have some kind of mid-way tile, with very low grass, between the tiles with grass and no grass. It doesn't seem to flow very nicley the way it is now. It still looks very good, but hopefully you can or have improved these things. Very, very nice.

-Chris

Quote:
Original post by Alt F4
Are you sure your FPS counter is right? It just seemed to me that you were getting a higher framerate than what the counter showed. Nice work though!

Fraps automatically adjusts for that. I.e. the video would be playing faster than the game.

The game looks good, but I would love to see some gameplay!

Quote:
Original post by giveblood
From the looks of it, I see a few things that I think could make it a bit better looking. Besides that big building in the beginning, the others look exactly the same, just a different color. I guess that is okay but they look a bit too simple like that. Also, in the patches of grass, you should have some kind of mid-way tile, with very low grass, between the tiles with grass and no grass. It doesn't seem to flow very nicley the way it is now. It still looks very good, but hopefully you can or have improved these things. Very, very nice.

-Chris

Well, you have to understand that I've been working on this from scratch for only 35 days now between classes (that includes engine, graphics, sound, maps, scripting.. everything except music, which I bought), plus I've never actually made a real game before, so I had to learn insane amounts of information very quickly.

If I had more time, I could make the world more attractive, but unfortunately I only have 3 days left and tons of work to do on the gameplay.

This has been a great learning experience for me, and I'm not even concerned about the contest. I just enjoy building something from nothing--and if it happens to be entertaining, so much the better.

Sign in to follow this